Using a subdomain without a custom domain

Hello,

I’m very new with netlify and I’m not sure if this is possible or not.
I want to have a subdomain to my domain, and more specifically a branch-related subdomain (eg: development.domain.netlify.com) without a custom domain, meaning without having to buy the domain name in order to create a url like development.domain.com.

In other words,
I want this : development.domain.netlify.com (or anysubname.domain.netlify.com)
Not that : development.domain.com

Is it possible? Or does adding a subdomain is only possible with custom domains?

Thank you !
Sorry if this question has already been asked, I could’nt find the info :frowning:

1 Like

What you are asking for is not currently supported. I’m happy to enter this as a feature request if you want though.

If you enable the building of branches for a Netlify site linked to a Git repository, then the branch name is appended to the subdomain with -- (two “dash” characters) between them for all branches other than the production branch (which is just the plain subdomain without the branch name included).

For example if the Netlify subdomain is “example” and the branch name is “branch-name” the subdomain for the branch build will be:

• branch-name--example.netlify.com

Will the behavior above be sufficient for your purposes?

If not, I’d be happy to file a feature request for this. (Note, that doesn’t guarantee the feature will become a reality but it will make it more likely by tracking interest in it.) ​

2 Likes

Hello Luke,

Thank you for your reply!
I will use your solution for now :slight_smile:
However I would be happy if you could file a feature request for this as I believe this workflow could be used by users.

Have a good day.

I would really appreciate if this feature was made available!

Hi, @GreatHawkeye and @Siteme. We have a feature request filed for this and both of your +1 are recorded there.

The feature request is cross-linked with this community topic and we’ll post an update here if/when this feature request becomes a reality.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know anytime.

For other people interested, please feel free to :heart: this post and we’ll add your +1s to the feature request. (You can also post below but the :heart: might be faster.) :wink: