Support for Deno on Netlify

Deno (“sequel to node”) has been slowing progressing for a while and is about to hit v1.0 (first release candidate landed just days ago).

I couldn’t find anything in the support forums about Netlify supporting Deno (maybe I just couldn’t find it? If so, please close this and link me). As far as I can tell, Deno isn’t currently supported in any of Netlify’s build images.

There are a lot of things about Deno that look super compelling. As a developer, I have a few projects where I would like to try it out. However, it’s hard to really consider using it on a new project if the build pipeline doesn’t support it.

Now that v1 is landing, seems like a good time to at least consider the idea? I would guess folks at Netlify have already talked about it and it’s on your radar. Any chance you could post an update on whether or not this will be supported in the near future?

Thanks for listening :ear:

6 Likes

Deno is definitely interesting. If you want to use it to build your site, you could probably run a script to pull the static binary and you’d be off to the races. If you were thinking about running it in a function, well, that would be pretty awesome.

I personally think Deno is pretty awesome and agree with your sentiment. :+1:

4 Likes

Please add Deno support it’s what Node.js should have been. I’m front end dev only used Node.js for couple of times, but Deno is exciting and it’s picking up steam.

3 Likes

Great. It’s good to hear that people are getting excited about it! We will keep an eye on this topic. :eyes:

1 Like

Deno 1.0 hasn’t landed just yet, but it’ll be released on Wednesday May 13! :tada:

We too have been following Deno’s progress and are excited for it to drop and are exploring ways in which users can start playing with it on our platform. I personally think Deno would be such a great fit for serverless functions, especially since it spits out a single executable. We’ll definitely be working on some demos on our end in the near future. Keep an eye out for that! :eyes:

2 Likes

Is this depends whether AWS will add it as a runtime?

hey @web2033, not to my knowledge, no. We will definitely update here if we do more work on this :muscle:

2 Likes

Can’t wait you support deno :slight_smile:
Heroku already support it.

2 Likes