Forms boilerplate issue - page not found

Hi. I’m using an example from https://www.netlify.com/docs/form-handling/?_ga=2.109038082.1089190767.1565345647-892488871.1565345647#troubleshooting-tips, copy and paste in react app and then deploy. It’s the first example from the list, html only. I push it to GH and try it using the deployment link but getting Page Not Found adter submission. I’ve not added any custom code, it’s the basic example that should work out of the box. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? The forms tab is pointing me to docs, froms in seettings are as well, so no data/settings to display. Thanks

can you post your form code please? thanks.

Hi Perry, sorry, didn’t realise the link was pointing to troubleshooting bit. The code is as in the example:

<form name="contact" method="POST" data-netlify="true">
  <p>
    <label>Your Name: <input type="text" name="name" /></label>   
  </p>
  <p>
    <label>Your Email: <input type="email" name="email" /></label>
  </p>
  <p>
    <label>Your Role: <select name="role[]" multiple>
      <option value="leader">Leader</option>
      <option value="follower">Follower</option>
    </select></label>
  </p>
  <p>
    <label>Message: <textarea name="message"></textarea></label>
  </p>
  <p>
    <button type="submit">Send</button>
  </p>
</form>

thanks for posting that. Can you also post a link to your live site please?

As you are making a react app, you might need to handle forms differently - the above code should work out of the box for a purely HTML based page.

Give this a read through:

and also the section after it - keep us updated!

Ok, I got it to work.
I used the react example, which works only when deployed to Netlify (which actually makes sense now).
Thanks for the help!

One more thing. Can I programatically access the database that stores the forms data?

give this a read through!

1 Like

Is the form submission encoded in the URL? I’m trying to figure out if there is a limit. I’m looking at using 80-100 input fields per form.

No, since you are POSTing, there is no query string encoding, it’s all in the body. I don’t think there’s necessarily a limit on # or amount of data per se, but you’d need to have all the data received by us from your visitor within 28 seconds, so if people are sending you megabytes of data or sending over a slow network, that may not be true, and the POST would fail, and no data would be collected.

awesome. It is all either integers or strings that I’ll be sending, so shouldn’t pose a problem. even for a slow network.
thanks for the help folks!

1 Like