Can't register my own domain with netlify DNS

Hello I woul like to register my own custom domain with Netlify DNS, but I have this message : “another site is using this domain”.

So I created a dns with record with verified-for-netlify and a link with this topic.
The domain is stereo.ooo, and the site id is 6968bbfe-41f4-4092-9d0d-ec744d3b1e42.

Can you please fix the issue?

Thanks!

hiya :wave:t6: thanks for reaching out! Happy to have you in the Netlify community. I have removed the dns zones for this domain you can now add this domain to your account.

Hi @SamO, and thanks for your answer!
A tried to add the domain, but i have a new message now: “A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1, the DNS provider backing Netlify DNS”…

So I still can’t add the domain.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hi @maximelb,

NS1 is a DNS SaaS company. We use NS1 (https://ns1.com/) for DNS services at Netlify.

The reason for this error (“A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1”) is because some other company has already configured a DNS zone for this domain at NS1. Because it already exists, Netlify cannot create a new one.

We are not the only company that builds our services using NS1 as a component. For example, if I am not mistaken, Squarespace also uses NS1. If you configured this domain at Squarespace (or similar service) that will prevent us from doing the same.

There are two solutions for this.

The first solution for this will be to discover which other service you have used this domain with. Then contact that service to have them remove the configuration for this domain at NS1. That is the only solution which allows for using Netlify DNS for this domain name.

NS1 won’t tell us who the other company is that already configured this domain with their service. This means you will need to determine which other services you have used for DNS service for this domain and contact that company to get this removed.

There is another solution. Instead of using our Managed DNS, you can also use external DNS method for the custom domain at Netlify.

You can also start by using external DNS method for now while you work with the other company to remove the DNS configuration they already have at NS1.

Hi, and thanks for you answer.

I contacted NS1 support, and here is their answer:

Hi -
Please reach out to the Netlify support team and ask them to open a case with IBM (NS1) to check on the status of this domain within our platform. Unfortunately, we can no longer provide support to individuals who do not have an entitlement with IBM.

Thanks,
NS1

I never registered stereo.ooo on any service before because it’s new, but maybe someone else have already register a service called stereo.ooo?

So if it’s the case, and if NS1 won’t tell us who’s the other company, to find the person who can remove the dns, I don’t know what can I do, and that would be very anormal to be blocked by an other person on my own domain…

Thanks for your help

You can use external DNS configuration instead of Netlify DNS as @Melvin has already mentioned.