A JAMstack book! - Modern web development on the JAMstack

I’m happy to share that O’Reilly have now published the book that @biilmann and I (not to mention @todd, @chris and a number of others ) have been working on for a little while.

I wrote a little about it on the Netlify blog and you can get a free download of the book on the website.

We hope that this book helps to clarify all sorts of things to do with the JAMstack, and also illustrate some examples and case studies.

The trouble with a book, though is that it is hard to get feedback and have a conversation about the content in the pages. Luckily, we have this community site!

If you have feedback, questions, or comments about the book, feel free to voice them here. It would be great to learn where it was useful and what gaps we should look to fill.

2 Likes

Thanks so much :smiley: I’ve only made it through the first chapter, but this book is awesome!!
Can’t wait to dig into it further :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks @PeteCapeCod!
I hope the rest of the book lives up to the first chapter!

There’s still a place for static sites on the web, but it’s shrinking, not growing, and likely still the domain of developer portfolios and side-projects. Sure, it’s possible to engineer a workflow in 2020 that manages to smoosh together a set of disparate 3rd parties, a version-control-system backed CMS and a bunch of template files into a working (and fast!) site, but the value is questionable. Instead of reducing complexity, the JAMStack just shifts it around.

Security and performance are real concerns and will undoubtedly continue to plague developers, library authors and product owners as long as software development lives, however, the solution won’t be found in a reduction of responsibility.

It’s fitting that we have taken the simplest form of a website — static HTML — and transformed it into a complex landscape of build processes, tooling and services that more than rivals the complexity it set out to supplant.

Thanks for the information. Keep suggesting such info. Looking for the same issue.

Toys R Us Credit Card Login

Functions like this one can help. I like it more how Medium functions, so I’d stay in touch with you there.