Wildcard Subdomain Testing

Hi Support Team,
I’m planning to add wildcard subdomains to my sandbox site described above.

As I found in the article below, it seems to be available for pro accounts and you need to explicitly enable it.

So far, it shows a “Not Found” message
https://test.d-simple-sandbox.com

Is it possible to test the feature on the free plan for 1-2 days? Specifically, I wish to test that the Auth Set-Cookie from the server is working as expected as well as some CORS settings.

If it’s all good, I’m more than happy to switch to the PRO plan immediately.

Please let me know your thoughts.

The article where I got the information from:

Many thanks

Hey @dusty48,

Unfortunately, this is a hard-set rule as it can become quite an administrative burden to track requests like these. However, you can upgrade in order to try the feature. If it’s as expected, great! Otherwise, you would be free to downgrade, receive a pro-rata refund and lose the feature.

Hey @Pieparker,

thanks for your reply. Okay that’s understandable. Thanks for offering the refund if it does not work, but I think I will just go for the PRO plan and if it doesn’t work out it was at least worth the try.

Anyway, once I’ve upgraded, what’s the best way to contact the support about this? Should I contact you guys via your contact form?

Thanks!

You can reply right here whilst we have this avenue of conversation open :slight_smile:

Just a few disclaimers I ought to share: wildcard subdomains aren’t enabled by default and can only be enabled from our end (as you’re well aware). There are a few requirements before we’re able to do so:

1. Either you have to use Netlify DNS so we can get you a wildcard SSL cert, or you must bring a custom wildcard certificate
  2. We can only do this for a site that’s on a paid team (see https://www.netlify.com/pricing#teams for details)

Also note:

• You can’t use domain aliases on the site with Wildcard subdomains enabled, just the bare domain and subdomains under your primary domain. If you try to add a domain alias then it won’t work.
  • The primary custom domain for the site, if it is a “site.com+www.site.com” setting in our UI, must be www.site.com and NOT site.com!

Let us know when you’ve gone Pro and which site. We’ll verify that it meets the requirements and get that set up for you.

Hi, thanks for the detailed answer. :slight_smile:
Just to make sure I got it right before upgrading…

So I wish to use the following for the staging site, and then, later for a second site (production app) with the same setup:

Could you confirm that this setup will be possible, please?

Many thanks

Hey @dusty48, seems fine! One advisory: it’s definitely more resilient to use www.d-simple-sandbox.com for the primary domain (but d-simple-sandbox.com can direct to this).

Hey there,

alright, I have upgraded to the pro plan and adjusted the settings as followed:

Site-Domain Settings:
Set Primary Domain -> app.d-simple-sandbox.com
Removed www.d-simple-sandbox.com -> Being used for website later on
Removed apex domain d-simple-sandbox.com -> Being used for website later on

DNS Settings
Added A Record -> api.d-simple-sandbox.com to point to external IP (API)
Added Alias -> *.d-simple-sandbox.com -> Not sure if this is required for the setup

How can I point d-simple-sandbox.com and www.d-simple-sandbox.com to an External IP? Those need to point to the website’s server.

When you mentioned the www subdomain is more resilient than the apex domain, did you mean specifically the www subdomain or any subdomain and why?

Please proceed with the feature change to allow wildcard subdomains and let me know if anything in the setup seems wrong.

Thanks a lot!

Hey @dusty48,

I’ve gone ahead and enabled that for ya!

You won’t need the alias record in your DNS config, that can go :slight_smile: I see the A record for the api. subdomain too.

I was being modest when I referenced www. as more resilient. Basically, if you have www.domain.com and domain.com hosted here, you’ll need www. to be the primary! However, as you’re not having www. hosted on this site, it doesn’t matter.

If you’d like, we can remove the www. site from the certificate which then means this can be served elsewhere?

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks a lot for your help! Just had a quick look and subdomains are being recognised. Also removed the alias.

Yes, if you could remove the www. subdomain so it can be served elsewhere, that would be great.

Thanks again and all the best!

All done @dusty48! Funnily enough, I’m pretty sure that the explicit reference to www. was removed when *. was added :sweat:!