What Function-ality would you like to see?

I’d love some useful stats on functions usage of a project under the new analytics tab.
Stats I’d find useful are:

• number of times each function is called (like most visited pages in current Analytics)
  • average time a function runs
  • error counts (like the missing resources in current Analytics)
  • total function consumption (like bandwidth usage in current Analytics)

Hi,

I would like to see report-uri / report-to functionality for csp and expect-ct policies.

1 Like

hi tmoberg, can you outline your use case with a little more detail? The more info we have on how this helps you (and others) the better. thanks!

I’m also going to move this post to our feature request thread for functions. :slight_smile:

Hi Perry,

I am thinking of reporting as a serverless function, where violations of csp, expect-ct and other, future policies are handled with netlify functions and user-controlled endpoints.

I don’t think I can be more precise.

Thanks,

Tom

That makes sense, thanks @tmoberg ! We’ve gotten a feature request filed to support this, but I don’t think we’ll implement it soon since it is more “dynamic” of a header than our usual static ones and am not sure how we’ll create it within our current framework.

Nonetheless, we’ll let you know if we do implement it with a followup in this thread.

+1 to this — lack of scheduled functions is currently holding us back. AWS Lambda natively supports scheduled events, but unfortunately Netlify’s wrapper doesn’t expose that functionality.

1 Like

Hi, @DavidChouinard, thank you for this +1. I’ve added this to the open feature request for being able to schedule Netlify Functions and we’ll follow-up here if/when that becomes available.

1 Like

I’m also looking for the ability to schedule functions within Netlify, and not using an external service like Zapier.

My use-case is for running periodic tasks that are unrelated to user-input. For example, I want to send email reports to users based on times that they set (eg. send me an update at 10pm) so I’d want to periodically run the function to check if anything needs sending. Similarly, I’d want to be able to run functions on a regular basis for other things like periodically pulling data from external APIs.

2 Likes

Same here, I’m doing a POC and it looks like we’ll use Zapier or EasyCron to hit a Netlify function… would be nice to keep our codebase self-contained!

I need custom lambda runtime support. I want to keep using Netlify for the task I am using it but I am no longer using JS nor Go for my applications. Would be nice if Netlify would be more open (have it on docs) about state of support for custom lambda runtime. I’ve been wondering if it is supported or not. And I am still not sure.

1 Like

+1 for custom runtimes. I find it crazy that whilst AWS Lambda supports a whole range of languages and runtimes, we are restricted to just Go and Nodejs. AWS provided the custom runtime functionality so users aren’t tied down to a set of languages. Why not make use of it Netlify?

1 Like

Hi, @ejohnson, @superherointj, and @awprice. We’ve added these +1s for additional runtimes and scheduled function calls. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on adding these new features to Netlify.

2 Likes

The additional runtime I’m using is Reason/Ocaml.

Thanks for that detail, I’ve updated the feature request!

@luke Any traction on this feature request ?

Sorry @titusrobyk, but the answer is not yet. You’ll know if we implement one since we’ll follow up in this thread as promised :slight_smile: I don’t foresee this happening anytime soon since the number of requests is quite small, so you’d be best off not waiting but finding some other way to run your other-language functions, though we will still follow up if the situation changes of course!

I’d love to see this as well. Being able to fire off a job every hour is pretty crucial for us.

1 Like

totally. I have added your request to the issue.

I would love to see this feature as well, I hope it gets prioritized. I’ve collected emails from users using Netlify Forms and I want to send them weekly emails based on content files in my NetlifyCMS Nuxt site. Would love to be able to schedule a weekly cron job.

2 Likes

+1 for cron. Hope it will be released soon

3 Likes