<video> served up from google storage is not loading on Safari browsers

Hi,

I am having an issue with HTML5 video tag with the source being videos that are MP4 from google storage. Example:

<video src="https://storage.googleapis.com/cakedev/2020-09-18T11:39:24-04:005f6432368597bf0017c8bbfbek4hQyzBg.mp4" autoplay playsinline></video>

For some reason, it seems to work on all other browser, except safari. Not sure if it is related, but I found this on stackoverflow…

Site name: [inspiring-raman-695954.netlify.app]

@Migs86 That video code plays in Safari on my system when included in an otherwise bare page. The only issue I see is that the playsinline parameter is not correct syntax, but that shouldn’t make the difference as to whether or not the video plays.

Hey @Migs86,

I’m not seeing any specific issues here – have you managed to resolve this? Are there any errors in your browser’s dev tools?

Seems like the issue was the video format not being supported on Safari - it was webm.

We can mark this as closed. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the follow-up to let us know the root cause. It makes the topic much more usual for people searching the web and coming across this in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to share what you discovered!