Use Cloudflare Nameservers and remove Netlify Nameservers

I am hosting a static webpage on Netlify. I purchased my domain name through Netlify. I am interested in adding cloudflare video streaming to this site. For this, cloudflare requires me to remove the Netlify nameservers and use the cloudflare ones instead.

I do not see an edit button for the name servers. (see screenshot). I am on free tier right now.

Any support and explanations appreciated.

It’s not possible to change the NS records when using Netlify DNS as Netlify is not a DNS registrar. They purchase their domains via 3rd party registrar and cannot manage them on your behalf. If a domain was purchased through Netlify the NS records will be pointed to their DNS servers automatically.

If you’d like to use an external DNS provider you’ll have to first transfer your domain name out to another registrar (see: [Common Issue] How do I transfer my domain name to (or away from) Netlify?), assign the NS records to Cloudflare and then follow the external DNS guide to configure Cloudflare to point to Netlify’s servers. In addition, due to ICANN policy domains cannot be transferred to another registrar until 60 days of their last registration or transfer have elapsed.

You’ll also want to disable proxying to Netlify if you’re using a service like Cloudflare. You can read more about why that’s advised here: [Common Issue] Why not proxy to Netlify?

Hi, @andrelandgraf, in order to change those name servers you’ll need direct control of the domain at the registrar. (@noelforte, is correct that we are not a registrar ourselves).

We have sent you an email to the email address associated with your Netlify account, and we’ll communicate with you through that email to continue resolving this issue. (Please note that for security reasons, we will not contact you at email addresses not listed in your Netlify account.)

Also, please let us know with a reply here if you don’t receive a message from us.

@noelforte I think it’s important to mention this when trying to purchase a domain. This is a huge asterisk that needs to me made clear when purchasing the domain. The potential downtime caused by domain transfers, setbacks to plans is sometimes costs people. A new user doesn’t see this in the dashboard at all. A disclaimer like so would be nice :slight_smile:.

Totally agreed. I don’t work for Netlify but maybe @luke can put in a request with the team? :wink:

1 Like

Whoops my bad, should’ve noticed!

Siteme and @noelforte , can you explain one more time what needs to be made clearer? I want to make 100% sure i understand so we can potentially review this and make changes. Thanks!