UPDATED - "SSL certificate expired" - which makes deployments fail

Hi everyone!

It seems Netflify SSL has stopped working for me. This means the deploys are also failing and the whole site has been showing a 404 since December 31st.

I’m using Netflfy DNS with the Lets Encrypt option. I’ve renewed the cert’ which succeeded and manually triggered a deploy. Let’s Encrypt says: “Your site has HTTPS enabled” but nothing is covered.

Including the backend, on a sub-domain. It’s now showing as “Not secure” in the Chrome address bar.

There have been no code changes for months. However I spoke with someone from support, I’m not sure if they changed something or it’s a coincidence?

It’s a simple Nuxt app’ which has been working and deploying fine for over a year. I’ve not made any changes recently.

I’d be very grateful for a nudge in the right direction / steps to troubleshoot.

I’m getting the following errors for each route, in the deployment log:

12:25:18 PM: ROUTE /contact-us-thank-you
12:25:18 PM: Error: certificate has expired
12:25:18 PM:
12:25:18 PM: - _tls_wrap.js:1058 TLSSocket.onConnectSecure
12:25:18 PM: _tls_wrap.js:1058:34
12:25:18 PM: - events.js:198 TLSSocket.emit
12:25:18 PM: events.js:198:13
12:25:18 PM: - _tls_wrap.js:636 TLSSocket._finishInit
12:25:18 PM: _tls_wrap.js:636:8

UPDATE - I’ve deployed an older version of the app, from 31st Dec’ and the site is at least not 404ing now. But SSL still isn’t working, for the main domain or sub-domains.

Hi @JamesR, can you tell me which site this is? I’ll take a look.

Thanks Dennis!

I’ve replied to your email too in more detail, the website is: https://www.sugartreats.co.uk/

Hello Dennis, I’ve been following up on email - but no response since 6th Jan despite follow ups.

The state of the website has worsened.

The front-end is no longer able to access data from the back-end, due to the SSL situation – so the old deployment is also essentially useless because the website has no data – just empty CSS and html with no content.

The back-end SSL issue still persists.

Should I open a new topic?

Hi @JamesR,

The error that is causing your issue is:

9:05:44 AM: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:05:44 GMT nuxt:render error occurred when calling nuxtServerInit:  certificate has expired

That is specific to nuxt.js specific error and the certificate being expired is not actually related to Netlify in this case. I’m not sure what is causing that but I recommend asking the developers of nuxt.js what that error means.