Unable to add an A Record

Hello,

I am trying to add an A Record to my dns panel. I am just using the @ and the netlify load balancers ip. But when I try to add the record, it says “dns_api tinyjungle.de - tinyjungle.de/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty”.

As far as I understood other threads about this you would need to delete some existing records?

Hello, @hk94, welcome to our Netlify commmunity site and you are correct.

Any domain names which have NETLIFY or NETLIFYv6 type records are prevented from also having A, AAAA, and/or CNAME records which match the same domain names. Removing the NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 records will make creating the other records possible.

The NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 records can only be removed by our support team at this time. Should we remove both the tinyjungle.de and www.tinyjungle.de records here (link below)?

Yes please, if that enables me to add an A Record. Additinional question: Is it sufficient to have an C Name record point from the netlify subdomain to my custom domain and an A record to point at thee netlify loadbalancer ip?

Thanks!

I deleted the two DNS records, @hk94. Note, despite there being a DNS configuration in Netlify DNS for this domain - it is currently not using our DNS service.

This is what I find when I query to see what name servers are authoritative for this domain:

$ dig tinyjungle.de NS +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> tinyjungle.de NS +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
tinyjungle.de.		299	IN	NS	ns1.goneo.de.
tinyjungle.de.		299	IN	NS	ns2.goneo.de.

There are two name servers (NS records) listed for this domain above and neither are Netlify controlled DNS servers.

So, before any DNS records at Netlify will take effect, the domain needs to be configured to use our DNS name servers as described here:

Regarding this question:

Is it sufficient to have an C Name record point from the netlify subdomain to my custom domain and an A record to point at thee netlify loadbalancer ip?

If you are not using Netlify DNS, this is correct and this is done with your current DNS service - not Netlify’s.

If you are using our external DNS configuration method, then you create two records:

• an A record for the apex/root domain
  • a CNAME record for subdomain

You also must add the domain to the custom domain settings for the site itself at Netlify (this is under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains).

If you are using Netlify DNS, you don’t need to create any DNS records manually. Just add the domain in the Netlify custom domain site settings.

You can manually create other records if they are needed of course (MX, TXT, A records to other services, etc) but for custom domains using Netlify DNS and being directed to a site at Netlify - just adding the custom domain under site settings with create the system records (NETLIFY and possible NETLIFYv6 types) required. Those records get added automatically.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

Okay, thank you for your detailed answer. I have to go the route about the external DNS of my domain provider, since with the basic plan I am using there I can’t edit any dns server configurations.

I have added the A record and hope this does the trick now!