Unable to access netlify collections/admin page (404) on localhost

Long story short, I’m unable to access the /admin page to make changes to collections content on my local repo.

About my setup:
I used a stackbit site generator with a starter theme to get started. I’m able to access the /admin page perfectly fine on the deployed/hosted site. But for whatever reason I’m unable to access /admin locally.

I’ve followed the directions laid in the beta features page here: Beta Features! | Decap CMS | Open-Source Content Management System

I have run the npx netlify-cms-proxy-server command in another terminal at the same time but but doesn’t seem to be working.

Here is the 404 I’m seeing when attempting to access localhost:8000/admin:

And the rest of the config/instructions from everything I’ve read online.

backend:
  name: git-gateway
  branch: master
local_backend: true
media_folder: static/images
public_folder: /images
collections: ... 

public/admin/index.html:
Has the updated src in the script tag: https://unpkg.com/netlify-cms@^2.10.60/dist/netlify-cms.js

Would love to know what I could possibly be missing here, is the routing potentially not configured properly? Missing a config for that?

Thanks so much, love everything about netlify except local development is causing hold ups for my development team.

Cheers,
Carter

1 Like

Hi @clathrop and welcome to the community :wave:

Netlify CMS works best with Gatsby using the CMS Gatsby Plugin. The best way to get started is to follow this guide:

For those who encounter the same issue:
You have to install netlify-cms-app and gatsby-plugin-netlify-cms first.
Then add the plugin into gatsby-config.js

plugins: [
  'gatsby-plugin-netlify-cms',
  // ...
]

After that, you can follow the step from Beta Features! | Decap CMS | Open-Source Content Management System and have the result