Tutorial for membership site

Hi, I’m just scoping out possibilities for replacements to my current Wordpress site - which has a series of paywalls for members only content (using LifterLMS).

• Are there any tutorials for implementing some sort of members only area(s)?
  • Would I need to have a Pro or Business account to access the necessary tools?

hey colinswood,

great questions. I think what you are asking is to how we do access control for sites that are hosted on Netlify and whether we have tutorials on that?

There are a few things I can point you towards - you can authenticate people for specific kinds of access using Identity:

Getting started with Identity is availble on the Starter Tier.

That said, for your purposes of building a site with a set of paywalls, you might find that it’s not quite customizable enough as-is. You can pay extra to have advanced Identity capabilities added on to your site, which allow for a more branded experience:

(scroll down to: per site add ons and then unfold identity to see the add ons listed out)

Thanks for the info, I didn’t see that section.
It looks as though this could theoretically do what I need - but in the free plan it’s only with either five users I control - or 1000 users that I don’t control. With the $99 per month plan I would still only get to control 100 users…
If I’m right then this rules out using Netlify for membership sites :frowning:
Am I right about this?

hey colinswood,

I just saw @jlengstorf post this on his twitter, sounds like he is teaching THE workshop you need:

1 Like

Hi. Did you ever get this solved? I’m also looking to include subscriptions/paywalled content on a site that I don’t want limited to number of subscribers. I’ve looked at the Stripe/Fauna solution posted in Netlify documetation but I’m also looking into membership solutions (like Memberstack, Memberful).
I thought the Stripe/Fauna solution would work but I’m concerned about ‘forgot my password’ functionality.
Thanks!

Hi @desidem,

You can use Netlify Identity for free as long as you stay within the limits of the free plan, but if you need unlimited members, you could upgrade to the business plan for $99/month.

Thanks for replying!
If I go with the Pro site and I get more members/subscribers it would be easy enough to upgrade, correct?

Also, I’m still debating between Netlify+Eleventy+Memberstack or Netlify/Identity+Stripe+Fauna. I believe that Netlify+Jekyll+Memberstack definitely works, and apparently Eleventy+Memberstack+Surge works. If you know of anyone who is successfully using Memberstack with Eleventy on Netlify let me know! Thanks again.

Pro team plan and Identity subscription is not linked in any way. You can stay on the free plan and upgrade only the identity add-on based on your usage.

Not stopping you from upgrading to pro, just wanted to clear that out. The base identity plan has same members and limits in starter as well as pro.

About your stack, I can’t comment on that, I’d advise choose the ones you’re comfortable with.

I understand that you decided to plan everything. Are you working for someone or will you be making your own website?

I’m making my own site. Currently stepping through the tutorial, running up against one issue that I hope I’ll be able to figure out, i.e., how to protect my already-created content (many many pages of it). If I can’t figure it out on my own, I’ll be posting again here.

Hey guys i went with the netlify/Identity+Stripe+Fauna option and it’s working out great! Completely free to start out. I learned how to do it from Jason Lengstorf’s blog post on netlify’s blog.

1 Like