Transferred domain renewal

I previously registered my domain on godaddy, but then transferred it to netlify. Godaddy is now trying to bill me for a renewal. Shouldn’t netlify renew it? I’m not familiar with the process.

Hi, @michaelazer, and welcome to the Netlify community site. :smiley:

We have a topic about this here:

I’ll do my best to summarize what the topic above says.

We are the DNS service but the domain is still registered with Godaddy. If you register the domain using our web UI, only then can the renewal be handled by Netlify.

If you want to renew the domain, you’ll have to do so with the current registrar. Technically, there is another option. You can transfer it to a different registrar and renew it with the new company.

Again, we aren’t a registrar so the domain cannot be transferred to Netlify - only the DNS service can.

If you registered it with Netlify you’ll see “Registered through Netlify” at the top of the DNS zone configuration page. If it is registered with someone else, the top of the page says "
Registered through an external provider".

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply and help.
Is there a way to transfer the domain back to godaddy?

Hi, @michaelazer, first I want to clarify what needs to be transferred.

If you transferred a domain to Netlify, only the DNS service can be transferred. You didn’t transfer the registration, only DNS service. The domain will still be registered elsewhere (which sounds like GoDaddy).

What domain name needs to be transferred back to GoDaddy’s DNS service?

If you want to transfer DNS service back to GoDaddy, please do the following:

1. Log into the GoDaddy and navigate to the DNS configuration/settings for the domain.
  2. Change the name servers at GoDaddy back to the name servers for the GoDaddy DNS service.
  3. Delete the DNS zone for the domain with Netlify DNS.

If there are any questions about how to make these changes (or questions anything else), please let us know.

Now I get. Sorry I had things confused, but now it is clear. Thank you.