[Support Guide] Should I use Netlify to manage my DNS?

You have the option to manage your DNS at Netlify or somewhere else, and either way will work great! You can still use Netlify to build your awesome site, and leave DNS management where it is. Or Netlify can manage your DNS for free (!) and we are happy to provide this service because we know it makes people’s lives a lot easier.

I can share one of the benefits of Netlify’s DNS and one of the benefits of external DNS to help you decide.

• Netlify DNS benefit - if your repo has multiple branches all serving different content, you can have a subdomain for every single branch in your repo, and a wildcard SSL certificate will cover them all. This will happen automatically, with one click.

• External DNS benefit - we don’t allow inbound dns zone transfers so if you have a lot of existing DNS records its simplest & safest to use external.

If you still aren’t sure, no worries, reach out and we’ll help you decide what might be the best option for you.

2 Likes

I use Netlify to manage all my domains now, even for those that don’t have a static website hosted on Netlify.

I like to keep domains in one place, plus managing DNS records from my registrar (Namecheap) is pain in the ass.

1 Like

That’s awesome @Destiner. We have quite a few people doing this and having a good experience.

Relative newbie here. I’ve had a static Gatsby site deploying on Netlify from Github for over year now at planetandsky.com. The domain is currently hosted at he.net and I’m paying $25/mo for that and one other domain hosting I’m not even using. I would like to eliminate the he.net dependency and do everything via Netlify and Github if possible. Can anyone help me get started at migrating these domains to Netlify so I can close my account at he.net?

Hi, @JoelMcKinnon. Note, we are not a domain registrar. There is more about this in the community support guide below:

So, you will still need a registrar for your custom domains. You can use Netlify DNS or keep using the registrar’s DNS (aka “external DNS”), both work for sites hosted at Netlify. There are instructions for both methods below:

Regarding the domain name you mentioned, planetandsky.com I see that registered with wildwestdomains.com and not he.net:

$ whois planetandsky.com | egrep -i "^registrar"
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
Registrar URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-03-01T02:24:56Z
Registrar: Wild West Domains, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 440
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@wildwestdomains.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505

So, to be honest, I’m not entirely sure what role he.net plays in hosting your sites. It is hard to say what you need to do regarding that hosting service without knowing what services they are providing you currently. Would you be willing to please tell us more about how you currently use their service?

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the great info. It turns out that he.net was hosting another domain that I was not using, new-worlds.org. That one is the one I would like to switch to netlify so I can create a new portfolio site. According to the whois record the registrar is tucows but they say I have to have domain provider point to a different host. The provider is ziggle and I’m having trouble reaching them thus far.

As for planetandsky, he.net confirmed they weren’t hosting it, so I went ahead and closed the account.

Joel

Hi, @JoelMcKinnon, for new-worlds.org I do see that Netlify DNS is being used (but that the domain is registered via Tucows).

You can see the Netlify DNS configuration here:

Note, this custom domain isn’t linked to at sites at Netlify at this time. To do that, add the custom domain (or some subdomain of it) to the site settings under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains.

If there are other questions about hosting websites with our service or about Netlify DNS, please let us know and we will be happy to answer.