[Support Guide] I'm getting errors when adding my domain to Netlify or configuring DNS zones

There are a handful of errors you may receive when adding your domain to Netlify. We’ve covered some of these in past Support Guide publications and this guide aims to consolidate the key culprits.

I have unwanted NETLIFY records in my DNS zone or "This is a system record that cannot be managed directly"

• Please see the existing Support Guide guide.

• Alternatively, only if you do not mind a loss of service, you may wish to navigate to the ‘Domains’ page within your team, make a note of all non-system DNS records and select ‘Delete DNS zone’ from the bottom. Then, recreate your DNS zone with the non-system DNS records. If you continue to receive errors, please follow the steps in the above Common Issue guide.

"A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1"

• If you are trying to use a domain name purchased through Name.com, please see the existing Support Guide guide.

• Alternatively, this domain has been used with another service (such as Squarespace) who, like Netlify, utilise NS1 to deliver their service. There are two potential solutions:

• Discover which other service you have used this domain with. You will need to contact that service and request them to remove the configuration for this domain at NS1. This is the only solution which will enable you to use our Managed DNS with this domain name. Unfortunately, NS1 are unable to tell us the service provider where this domain is already configured. Additionally, until this service provider is able to resolve the issue, you may wish to perform the below step in the interim.

• Alternatively, instead of using our Managed DNS, you can manually configure the custom domain and external DNS at Netlify.

"A DNS zone for this domain already exists under a different account"

• If you have access to the other Netlify account where the other site or DNS zone is configured, remove the domain from this account. This will allow the domain to be added to the new site and/or team.

• Alternatively, if you do not have access to the other Netlify account, please create a new post by clicking the ‘new topic’ button. Provided you can verify ownership or control of the domain, Netlify Support will help to resolve the issue with you. Ensure that your Community email address matches your Netlify team email address as we may reach out via email with a resolution or request for additional information.