[Support Guide] How can I receive emails on my domain?

Mailgun is a good option too, their free tier includes 10k emails a month. Though their docs aren’t the clearest, they suggest using mg.domain.tld as the domain when you should just use domain.tld, and the host they give you for the records often needs to have the domain removed from it. Otherwise it’s awesome!

2 Likes

Hi @rpw!!

You can set up your Zoho in whatever way makes sense for your needs. Just make sure you check to see if Zoho charges for more than one email address. I only use it for my team of one, so I don’t know what their pricing structure looks like for more than that. And it makes sense to set up your DNS first, then set up emails so you don’t have to do that twice.

The Mailgun suggestion from @n-ham sounds intriguing and worth checking out as well!

1 Like

:frowning:
…So it looks like one adds users and gets charged $12.00 for every new user. --We’re locked in to the service. But I can’t complain. It works rather nicely. :+1:t3:

Good to know! Thanks for sharing that.

Following this rules, my e-mail is running and ready to work!
Thank you @laura!

2 Likes

I made the following configuration:

Based on this post directions. But then I would send emails from my domain, @hsteel.eng.br, I would receive from the same domains. But when I send emails from other domains this error would occur:

503 5.0.3 <mail-wm1-f42.google.com[209.85.128.42]>: Client host rejected: Para envio de mensagens e necessaria autenticacao. Para saber como corrigir este erro acesse: http://wiki.locaweb.com/pt-br/Email_Locaweb_-_Envio_Autenticado /This mail server requires authentication

Final-Recipient: rfc822; suprimentos@hsteel.eng.br
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.ita.locaweb.com.br. (191.252.112.194, the server for the
domain hsteel.eng.br.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 503 5.0.3 <mail-wm1-f42.google.com[209.85.128.42]>: Client host rejected: Para envio de mensagens e necessaria autenticacao. Para saber como corrigir este erro acesse: http://wiki.locaweb.com/pt-br/Email_Locaweb_-_Envio_Autenticado /This mail server requires authentication
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 05:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

My email provider, provided the following chart for configuration.

What did I do wrong?

DNS for the MX records looks correct:

$ host hsteel.eng.br
hsteel.eng.br mail is handled by 10 mx.a.locaweb.com.br.
hsteel.eng.br mail is handled by 10 mx.b.locaweb.com.br.
hsteel.eng.br mail is handled by 20 mx.jk.locaweb.com.br.
hsteel.eng.br mail is handled by 20 mx.core.locaweb.com.br.

I think that due to the error message:

Para envio de mensagens e necessaria autenticacao. Para saber como corrigir este erro acesse: http://wiki.locaweb.com/pt-br/Email_Locaweb_-_Envio_Autenticado /This mail server requires authentication

…perhaps you are missing some SPF or other mail records or settings, around permissions and authentication on their servers, that they can tell you about? It looks to me like their mailserver got the mail, and rejected it because the email was wrongly sent (rather than sent to the wrong host) - which is not having anything to do with Netlify’s service.

I’m trying to apply the suggestions in the first post with my hosting but I still can’t receive any email.

My hosting’s guide suggests (translated):
If you use smtps.aruba.it , pop3s.aruba.it and imaps.aruba.it they can be set with only record MX and linked record A :

A  **only**  Record MX:
Name record MX:  **DOMINIO**  of type  **MX**  with priority:  **10**  heading on **mx.DOMINIO**
(on some provider MX field can be left the  empty)

mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.151
mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.154
mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.157
mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.160
mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.163
mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.166
mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.72
mx  *type_record:*  A IP: 62.149.128.74

Non sono quindi necessari i restanti record.

Any suggestion please?

My hosting provider told me to contact Netlify to manage the emailbox since I changed DNS…:confused:

Could you tell us what domain you use, please, so we can examine your current settings and get you the best advice? Thanks in advance for your help in troubleshooting!

It says us to register a different domain.
I have registered zoho mail for my netlify subdomain and that add or register domain or any dns records does not accept my current subdomain address.So th above screenshot is valid but what to enter before that in add or register domain?

I have a domain from mailchimp and they don’t have a cpanel or an email service

I’m not too sure how thing’s work over at Mailchimp but the easiest thing to do would be to point your domain to Netlify’s DNS at your registrar (Mailchimp). Then, you can follow the guide for adding your mail service to Netlify using our DNS.

Hi there,

Apologies for a simple question, I’m new to this.

I am using a new droplet on DigitalOcean with Mail-in-a-box setup. What do I put as the value when creating the MX record?

Thanks!

Hi, @kunalnagar, this looks like a wonderful service and I wish knew the answer, but I’ve never used it before and won’t have time to research it (much).

Our scope of support for our support team is limited to Netlify itself (but someone else here may answer this). This is a questions about Mail-in-a-box and not Netlify.

I think the instructions to find the required DNS records are found here.

However, those instructions are something only you can do (because we don’t have access to your droplet). We need you to tell us what the correct DNS records are and then we can answer any questions about getting the records working with Netlify DNS.

To summarize, we can help you troubleshoot Netlify DNS but not Mail-in-a-box itself. Once you know the correct Mail-in-a-box settings we can help if there are questions about creating the required records with our service.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know and we’ll do our best to answer (inside the scope of our support).

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply. It was actually a no-brainer. All the settings were in the Mail-In-A-Box Admin Panel under a menu option :slight_smile:

The only other thing that I am looking for is DNSSEC, but I guess I can follow this thread for that. Thanks again!

Hi, @kunalnagar. Thank you for sharing where to find the required DNS settings for Mail-In-A-Box. Hopefully this will be helpful others using Mail-In-A-Box or running their own mail servers.

I’m also glad to learn that you were able to get the DNS configuration working. I had not heard of Mail-In-A-Box before and I’m personally also quite interested now.

Yes, the DNSSEC is still an open feature request and that thread will be updated if/when this becomes available with Netlify DNS.

If you have other questions about this or want to share any tips you think might help others using Netlify DNS and Mail-in-a-box together, please feel free to follow-up here or even make a new topic to discuss. :+1:

Hi @luke. It is by far the simplest out-of-the-box solution that I’ve found for configuring a custom email server from scratch. Plus, it comes with NextCloud and Let’s Encrypt which means you have your own little cloud running with little to no-effort. There are some things that may need customization and I’m planning to do a blog post on it soon.

For example, my domain is with Google domains. My website for that domain is hosted on GitHub pages (I had to move from Netlify because of DNSSEC but I’ll be back). And my email + NextCloud is hosted on a DigitalOcean droplet. That’s a lot of moving pieces and I’m sure a blog post could definitely help someone pick and choose what they want.

If you or anyone has any questions for now, please feel free to reach out at: knlnagar[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks again for taking the time to reply back. Have a great day and stay safe! :slight_smile: