[Support Guide] How can I disable automatic git deploys?

Ah that’s my bad - I meant to ask how to re-enable automatic git deploys after they’ve been disabled. Is that possible through deploy settings?

Sure, @root. Both @devotox and I did answer this question. I’ll be happy to go into more detail though.

We are unlinking sites here so that people can still use manual deploys but stop deploys from occurring when a git push to the upstream repo happens.

So, if you want start deploying again for the git push events, just re-link the repo again (or a different repo if that is want you want to do). That is done at Site Name > Settings > Build & deploy > Build settings, then click “Link site to Git”.

I said the button was labeled “Edit settings” earlier but I was wrong. When no repo is linked it is labeled “Link site to Git”. Here is a screenshot to clarify:

I’m also not sure if you could instead be asking, “How to I enable auto-publishing again if I’ve locked deploys?”

If that is the question, the answer can be found at the link below:

Please do let us know if there are other questions.

Thanks for the clarification! I think I should have clarified myself, though - our site is already linked and has been linked, and so when I click into Build settings, I do see “Edit settings” and then details about the link that already exists. However, it appears that git push events to the specified branch do not actually trigger a rebuild since I had written in to have automatic deploys disabled for our site. How would I go about re-enabling automatic deploys after having written in to have them disabled? (Also worth nothing that auto-publishing is already enabled on our site, so that isn’t the issue.)

@jen could I get my site unlinked as well?

83eb0890-7d1f-4927-af5b-031966f1fddc

@iammatthias Yes, done!

And @ssijak, we agree, would be great to have this feature in the UI! There is an open feature request internally.

2 Likes

Does the unlinking + manual deploys method still allow Build Hooks to work? I want to only publish after a certain step of my CI (deploying new serverless functions) passes. I really wish there was an easier solution, but it seems that stopping auto publishing also disables Build Hooks, and then the build won’t automatically run

Currently I’m considering:

1. stopping auto-publishing, but continuing auto builds
  2. From my CI environment, use env variables to parse what github commit hash is building
  3. If the branch is master, use the netlify CLI / API to contact the netlify GET /api/v1/sites/:site_id/deploys API to find the commit_ref that matches
  4. Use POST /api/v1/sites/:site_id/deploys/:deploy_id/restore to effective ‘restore’ aka publish that desired commit

Will this work? Does anyone know a better way?

I wish there was an analogous feature to Build Hooks that was essentially a Publish Hook (make a POST request to a URL to publish a build, while specifying parameters to specify which build)

Hi, @brianjychan, if you are doing a build in some CI system you can skip building at Netlify and directly deploy the locally built site to Netlify from the CI system itself.

This is done using manual deploys and the Netlify CLI tool:

To summarize, you can install Netlify CLI as a build dependency in the CI system and when the checks pass you can the CI script/system then executes netlify deploy --prod for the the “publish directory” (as we call it at Netlify). If this is done you will know the version deployed exactly matches you CI build because it is the version from the CI build.

Would that solution meet your requirements?

@luke that sounds like it will work for me, I hadn’t thought of going about it that way. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there,

Could I get my sites unlinked please?

008c95ef-3bdc-4eb0-aa0b-acc5c158453e
and
1f8f48a8-0733-4d8e-8c23-d8eb2f6ec0b6

Thanks!

Please remove my git association for 46c29650-2f23-44ce-893f-aad734c30db7 thank you!

we took care of that for you~!

Thanks very much! @perry

Hi! I’d like to keep my site and remove the link from my site to Github.

API ID is dc12e51f-4fcc-4e2e-a5e2-23f8f817a785

Hi, @jvbreen1, the site has been unlinked from the repo.

If there are other questions or more we can do to assist, please let us know.

Hi Luke! I think I may have accidentally left my git origin as Github and then re-linked, so it’s showing as Github again in my site. Would it be possible to unlink again?

API ID is dc12e51f-4fcc-4e2e-a5e2-23f8f817a785

we took care of that for you!

hi @perry I think my request may have been skipped, just following up:

Hi there,

Could I get my sites unlinked please?

008c95ef-3bdc-4eb0-aa0b-acc5c158453e
and
1f8f48a8-0733-4d8e-8c23-d8eb2f6ec0b6

Thanks!

we took care of that, cameron!

Hi @perry

I want to disable the automatic git deploys from the site.

Can you please unlink git from my site please ?

API ID

5952371a-499a-4f29-ab05-bcfb7aa6f3c2

Thanks

we took care of that for you! you are now unlinked.