[Support Guide] DNS Quick Start - How to set up DNS

Note: All options discussed in this guide assume you have already added your custom domain to your Netlify site.

Hi there! Need to get your site up and running with DNS? Start here with either Newly purchased domain or Existing domain that you’ve already used

Newly purchased domain

If you have a brand new domain purchased from a registrar such as Namecheap or GoDaddy, and you want to quickly get your DNS set up, you have two options:

1. External DNS - Create these two DNS records at your registrar:

Type Name Value
    A @ 104.198.14.52
    CNAME www mysite.netlify.app

The value for mysite is your site name on Netlify, for example, brave-curie-671954. If you renamed your netlify site, use that instead.

2. Netlify DNS - Switch from using your registrar’s name servers to using Netlify’s. To do this, you’ll create a DNS Zone at Netlify. In the Netlify UI, navigate to your site and go to Domains —> Custom Domains. Click the Options button to the right of your custom name and select Set up Netlify DNS. There, scroll down to see your four nameservers. Write down the names and URLs of those name servers, then head over to your registrar and change the nameservers listed in your registrar’s dashboard to those you just copied from Netlify.

You’re done! Now we wait, as these changes won’t take effect immediately. Changes to DNS records can take up to 48 hours to propagate and take effect for the entire internet - worldwide! You can check your progress using this tool. See this Support Guide for more info on why it really can take this long: [Support Guide] Why do DNS / SSL changes take up to 48 hours to propagate? (TTL)

Feel like it should have been propagated already? If it hasn’t yet been 24-48 hours, please wait a little longer before creating a new post. We cannot speed up this process for you, sadly. Many DNS issues fix themselves with a little patience, and if it has not yet been 48 hours we will likely ask you to wait before we investigate.

Existing domain that you’ve already used

We recommend option 1 above, External DNS.

However, if you want to use Netlify DNS instead, you totally can. You’ll need to copy all existing DNS records to Netlify before changing the name server records to point to Netlify, especially if you have an email service configured for it like GSuite. Please read this Support Guide for more details about copying existing DNS records to Netlify: [Support Guide] How do I migrate a domain to Netlify Managed DNS with zero downtime?

One other scenario: Domain purchased through Netlify

If you purchased your new domain through Netlify it will already have Netlify DNS enabled! So you are all set. :tada:

In Conclusion

Not sure which to use? Check out this Support Guide: [Support Guide] Should I use Netlify to manage my DNS?

Additional resources and definitions

Links to other DNS Support Guides

[Support Guide] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar?

[Support Guide] How can I manage my DNS with Netlify if I used another vendor to purchase my domain?

[Support Guide] Is my site using Netlify’s DNS correctly?

[Support Guide] How to use Netlify’s branch deploy feature without Netlify DNS

[Support Guide] What are the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 type DNS records? How do I delete these records?

[Support Guide] Minimal downtime for a live site DNS migration

[Support Guide] Which are some good DNS providers for ALIAS/ANAME support?

[Support Guide] How do I transfer my domain name to (or away from) Netlify?

[Support Guide] How can I receive emails on my domain?

[Support Guide] Finding the IP addresses for Netlify’s Nameservers

[Support Guide] Someone else is using my domain/DNS zone or I can’t remove the NETLIFY records in my DNS zone?

[Support Guide] Verifying domain ownership for Netlify custom domain

[Support Guide] Name.com domain reports “A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1” error

[Support Guide] I’m getting errors when adding my domain to Netlify or configuring DNS zones

[Support Guide] I changed my name servers / DNS on AWS Route53 but I’m still having issues

[Support Guide] Why isn’t my SSL certificate provisioning automatically with Cloudflare & Netlify? Are there other problems with using Cloudflare in front of Netlify?

Links to some registrars’ DNS instructions

EXTERNAL DNS - ADDING RECORDS

GoDaddy A records

GoDaddy CNAME records

Namecheap A records

Namecheap CNAME records

NETLIFY DNS - CHANGING NAMESERVERS

GoDaddy

Namecheap