[Support Guide] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar?

Hi, I’m also running into some DNS issues. I have a domain registered at Gsuite and I’d like to keep it there so I can host email (so I haven’t switch nameservers to Netlify). I’ve set up an A record and a CNAME to point at the site on Netlify, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Am I missing a step? Should I be pointing to katsumi.netlify.com instead in the CNAME? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, @trose. The DNS records in the screenshot do appear correct. However, they don’t return when I make the queries:

$ dig katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
$ dig www.katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd

There is no response for either query. The same can be seen currently at the two URLs below which also perform the same queries:

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/katsumiglobal.com
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#CNAME/www.katsumiglobal.com

I don’t know why the DNS records are not working but that is why the custom domain doesn’t point to the Netlify site: the required DNS records are missing.

​Please let us know if there are other questions.

I got it working after realizing that the nameservers on GSuite were set to Microsoft 365. I added the A and CNAME at Microsoft and we’re up and running!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: DNS questions for custom domain

hello Netlify team,

I tried the steps mentioned in this post but I’m still having issues.

The domain should be: termicasoluciones.com but is not working, I can’t change the DNS in the doming register due to the email linked to them.

Here’s a screenshot of the current DNS records:

Can you help? Thanks!

@jesusrmz What’s not working about it? The Netlify-subdomain version and the custom-domain version look similar.

Yes, it’s working now. Apparently, I needed to wait a little bit longer. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello!

For any Forums members who encounter this thread, as of March 25, 2021 we have changed our load balancer to 75.2.60.5 . Should you be following this post for guidance, please use this moving forward. We want to make sure you have the most up to date information! Please see our Docs, this Support Guide, and our Status Page from March 25th for details.

Best,
Hillary

Hello! Non-developer here and I’m not sure if this thread explains what I want to do. Can you advise? We are creating a microsite, but our main site lives on a different server. I want to domain to be something like:
microsite.mainsite.com

Is that what this thread is describing? If not, are there resources you can me point to? I’m not entirely sure of the terminology I should be using to search.

Yup, that is what this thread is describing. However, since you only want a microsite to live on Netlify. You only need to create a CNAME record as follows on your DNS host:

Type Name Value
CNAME microsite example.netlify.app

That way, any DNS request to microsite.mainsite.com will be served by Netlify.

Can you clarify something? At step 1 above, it says to add my domain to the domain settings. When I do that, I get this:
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 5.03.52 PM

It says that I should add the domain to begin delegating it. But I don’t want to delegate, do I? I want our mainsite to stay where it is at that URL. I just want the microsite to live at Netlify. When I try to add microsite.mainsite.com to the domain setting box, it won’t let me.

So, on your Netlify site page (not the account page), go to Site Settings and look for Domain management.

There, click on Add custom domain, and when prompted add your microsite.mainsite.com there.

If you see this, just press Add domain. Your current main site will not be affected.

After which, you should see the microsite.mainsite.com under the Domain management page.

After which, go to your DNS provider and add a CNAME record for microsite to <pagename>.netlify.app and you should be good to go.

It works! Thank you so much!

1 Like

I just randomly discovered that the load balancer’s IP address has been updated more than a year ago. I know the old one still works for now, but it would have been nice to be notified of this new recommendation outside of the forums so I could implement it faster in my DNS records. Thank you for your understanding!

Hi @SmashManiac :wave:t6:, welcome back to the forums. I hear your concern and I appreciate you voicing your feedback. I understand how frustrating this can be. I have passed this on to our team. We really appreciate it. (:

1 Like

Thanks thinking of trying this for a Wix registered domain. But then will the subdomain I add also have https security? Or would I have to get that separately at Wix?

hi @lori

Happy to help! You can use our SSL certificate on your site, is that what you’re asking? We have a great list of support guides on how to properly set up DNS:

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help.

I looked at many of the articles and Im still not sure.Now we want to point example.com to example.netlify.app.

My understanding is to

1. Go to domain, get to point of “awaiting dns” which only says put in name servers so click done even though thats not allowed?
  2. Then go to in this case current Wix site dns and put
    CNAME: www [direct that to] example.netlify.app
    and this will do it.
    Or if I want bare domain to also work, do I need to also create A record:
    @ or empty [direct that to] apex-loadbalancer.netlify.com

as I read here: https://docs.netlify.com/domains-https/custom-domains/configure-external-dns/#configure-an-apex-domain

Thanks again for your help.
Lori

That’s it if you want to still manage your own domain at WIX:

• CNAME record on www to example.netlify.app.
  • A Rercord on @ to 75.2.60.5 or the apex-loadbalancer.netlify.com if your registrar supports DNS provider supports ALIAS, ANAME, or flattened CNAME records.

Hope this helps

1 Like