[Support Guide] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar?

Hi, I’m also running into some DNS issues. I have a domain registered at Gsuite and I’d like to keep it there so I can host email (so I haven’t switch nameservers to Netlify). I’ve set up an A record and a CNAME to point at the site on Netlify, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Am I missing a step? Should I be pointing to katsumi.netlify.com instead in the CNAME? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, @trose. The DNS records in the screenshot do appear correct. However, they don’t return when I make the queries:

$ dig katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
$ dig www.katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd

There is no response for either query. The same can be seen currently at the two URLs below which also perform the same queries:

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/katsumiglobal.com
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#CNAME/www.katsumiglobal.com

I don’t know why the DNS records are not working but that is why the custom domain doesn’t point to the Netlify site: the required DNS records are missing.

​Please let us know if there are other questions.

I got it working after realizing that the nameservers on GSuite were set to Microsoft 365. I added the A and CNAME at Microsoft and we’re up and running!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: DNS questions for custom domain

hello Netlify team,

I tried the steps mentioned in this post but I’m still having issues.

The domain should be: termicasoluciones.com but is not working, I can’t change the DNS in the doming register due to the email linked to them.

Here’s a screenshot of the current DNS records:

Can you help? Thanks!

@jesusrmz What’s not working about it? The Netlify-subdomain version and the custom-domain version look similar.

Yes, it’s working now. Apparently, I needed to wait a little bit longer. Thanks!

1 Like