Submodule with SSH was working, not any longer ==> Deploy key needed?

I now painfully regret deleting a stalled site… :man_facepalming:

Until November, I had a Netlify site running and I was using my personal theme as a submodule using SSH (git@github.com). I since deleted the site and created a new one with a foreign theme.

Today, I wanted to re-create the old site from the still existing repository, but the submodule can’t be loaded at deployment.

2:22:37 PM: git clone https://github.com/metbril/robertvanbregt_nl
2:22:38 PM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/master
2:22:39 PM: Error checking out submodules: Submodule 'themes/grotius' (git@github.com:metbril/hugo-grotius.git) registered for path 'themes/grotius'
Cloning into '/opt/build/repo/themes/grotius'...
Host key verification failed.

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
fatal: clone of 'git@github.com:metbril/hugo-grotius.git' into submodule path '/opt/build/repo/themes/grotius' failed
Failed to clone 'themes/grotius'. Retry scheduled

I think it has to do with using https: for submodules, but when I change this, I can’t properly edit my own theme. So I have a need to continue using the SSH access to the repo for development.

Can you provide me with instructions/documentation how to get this working again / provide a deploy key?

The instructions are not 100% clear to me. Should I add the deploy key to the site repository, to the submodule repository or both?

Sure, here’s the deploy key you can put in place:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDRMGy8vFQzw34C2p7OeMaIvuqjNLNmaRF0Yr83R8tY2gqOb8vGeiA5SxjPCWdjSaN6bdwlErpHxuLGsc08PyhOUriuTQjuY/a6J/+6uaqGrbIICQIe+hhQ1g/MPxpTnODy5UMBsYgZ/3BpmvV75xhgOaRe9Oec5W5uuk49+RxYVyXddA+46ZQh/eBrlR/es5qh3vUbOf4t/HdZ9lLHSxnWVh4g0QSR8CrBoNRfO2W5VGJIETfciwYih0KW2XlAcrWONHCYyofxGsI4fZZFq1u5+mepHAYEuQ1fU/fLnzu5g34b0dUO2jytBs2sXTBBCt8AINfxHsD7YoBU3wEIQlXj

This is safe to send to you, since it is the public key, and only allows us to read your repo - since we have the private key. If someone else “uses” it, then we can read their repo too, but no effect on yours :wink:

Hi @fool, I am also trying to do something similar

Is it possible for me to also get a deploy key? I tried adding this one on Github but it says it’s in use and I was unable to add it.

Hi @Steve_C, welcome to the Community!

Post the name of the site where you’d like to use the deploy key, and we can get it for you. Also make sure the account you’re posting from matches your account on Netlify. Thanks!

Hi @verythorough,

I would like a deploy key for www.skupos.com

I have also now signed in with the matching Netlify account.

Thanks!

Hi, @Steve_C2, here is the public key:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQC9dGp1tfMbXWFv3YJ9ezXobAAqxr7tDS4NUsQ/xPwvBT3DAsrwtqOX1UlVL6fUWrhRYhwIotZdYIxhKt3vEaMDirwwnK4hoszqWhQvlA/7LQ+edzU8LjL62BMCAha5+BfWMoy5N1eql56wRXvChLQ2n3ndOyksrpMjM9ldHNDdbe5Y2/qosU+SG0vErK6xMQ8kGHxYIDL/6E5eCaG0plEkPiI0hl9W/UyHZhz367nMPwVUpFE1Sp+tbSCt6yzH2MR1ML6bXsF2bBbR0R61bLVl59k6c5Bhl0vc8zA+664ZY3LOiWOxJYI9T5pXIKvLTzBkpwKDU4B0IB/94H2qhhN1

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

1 Like

Hi there! Just dropping by to mention that we have now shipped a UI update that allows you to generate a deploy key in the UI and no longer have to get in touch with support to do so in case you need another in the future :tada:

more here:a