Skip Builds Automatically Without [skip ci]

Thank you for the response @luke!

The alternative solution is an interesting idea, but I don’t think it will help me in this case. That’s not your fault, I just didn’t provide the entire context behind what I needed.

I’m using dependabot to manage my dependencies, which automatically creates PRs for new package versions and then merges them when the build is green. It relies on a green Travis build to decide whether to merge the PR. However, since I’m not interacting with these PRs whatsoever, there is no reason to build a Netlify preview of these minor updates. I maintain a number of open-source projects that rely on this workflow, and it is wasteful of me to utilize Netlify’s resources in this way when it’s completely unnecessary. So it’s not that I need Travis to trigger Netlify builds for me, it’s just that I need dependabot to be able to tell Netlify to skip certain PRs while still having Travis build. Having a unique skip command like [skip netlify] would ensure that any developer, for any reason, can specifically instruct Netlify to skip a build without impacting other CI platforms.

I look forward to having this feature land! Hopefully, it’s not a large piece of work, since the platform already looks for [skip ci]. That string detection can just check for multiple variations now!