Site not showing up

Hi,
I have a test site neoagetech.netlify.app.
When I deployed the app for the first time, it works fine.

Then I attached my custom domain on it. The site goes to a Netlify 404 page when I do “Shift + Refresh”.

Then I thought there might be something I missed while configuring my DNS provider. So I removed the custom domain, then deleted the project and removed all related DNS records.

Then I created the project again 1 min after the deletion.
Now the site is deployed but keeps showing the 404 page regardless.

Please help!
Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Did you see this guide yet? This is the best place to start for “Page Not Found” issues.

If you are still seeing issues after following the troubleshooting steps in this guide, please let us know!

Hi Perry,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I did download my package and index.html is there. I’ve also extract it into a folder and serve the folder locally on my machine and it works fine.

hmm, it is loading fine for me? the page flashes, but i think that is a frontend bug, not so much a deployment issue.

what are you seeing? stll page not found?

Hi Perry,
Hm…that is weird.
This is what I can see currently:


Do you think this has something to do with DNS cahce etc?

hey there,

can you try again for me? something was a little out of whack but we think we fixed it!

Hi Perry,
It works for me now. Thanks for letting me know.
Now I’m facing another issue.
If you do " Ctrl + Shift + R" on my site again, You’ll see the same 404 page.

I’ve also attached the network log if it helps.

Hi, @johnsonlin, the 404 URL in the HAR file is this:

https://neoagetech.netlify.app/home

At Netlify, we will serve one of two files for this this URL:

  • /home.html
  • /home/index.html

Because neither of those files exist, the URLs are 404s when requested. I do see that URL working as you browse the site but that is all “client side routing” be a single-page application (SPA).

Javascript is changing of the URL in the address bar. However, no real HTTP requests happen for those URLs as you browse the site. (There might be HTTP requests but not for those specific URLs.)

When you refresh the page though, a real HTTP request is attempted and returns the 404 which is expected.

There is a solution! :+1:

The solution is to use the single-page app rule from our documentation. This is the rule below:

/*    /index.html   200

Adding that redirect should fix this issue. That rules says, “If a request come in for an invalid URL, redirect that request invisibly (without changing the address in the address bar) back to the main page of the site.”

If it does not fix the issue or if there are any other questions, please let us know.

Hi Luke,
Thanks for your tip!
I just noticed that my build script didn’t copy _redirects to my dist root.
I’ve just fixed it and site should work properly now
Thank you so much Perry and Luke!

1 Like

you’re welcome! glad we were able to figure it out!