Site can't be reached

Having issues with one of my sites just getting “This site can’t be reached” when i go to the domain https://codefuse.netlify.com/

It suddenly stopped working. Preview and deploy works as expected and there are no errors in the log. Are there any known outages at the moment?

hey there, are you still seeing this issue?

This is what I see:

The most up to date source of truth on outages will always be:

https://www.netlifystatus.com/

And indeed, we don’t have reports of other problems. Is this a local issue, potentially?

That’s odd… I’m still seeing the issue on my end.

ok, can you send us the x-nf-request-id please?

also which deploy id is this? (you can find that information in your dashboard.)

This is all I’m seeing in the network tab

Is this the deploy id? master@[f1b91a5]

no - can you link us to your most recent deploy please? You can find it in your UI.

can you try accessing the site from an incognito window? or a different network, say, your phone?

it works on my phone

here is a link to my latest deploy https://app.netlify.com/sites/codefuse/deploys/5e7d0bfc5538330008c393ed

Hi, @jmacaluso711, if the issue is that the site isn’t working on one network and is on a different network (home internet vs phone internet), then we’ll need to troubleshoot the network not working. It does sound like there is something closing the network connect between your system and ours, but what is doing that is unknown.

It doesn’t look like a DNS failure. Would you please confirm that DNS lookup works by running the following command on the affected system?

nslookup codefuse.netlify.com

Would you please post the results of that command here? I’m guessing you will get a valid IP address for Netlify but I want to be sure.

Next, it would be helpful to know more about the closing of the connection between your system and the Netlify system.

Would you be willing to make a HAR file capture of the issue on the affected system? This might provide clues about what is occurring.

With these details we will have a better understanding of the issue and be able to troubleshoot further. If there are other questions for us, please feel free to add them here anytime.

Oddly it’s working on all my other computers as well. On the same network.

$ nslookup codefuse.netlify.com
Server:		127.0.0.1
Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	codefuse.netlify.com
Address: 146.112.43.130
Address: 146.112.43.57
Address: 146.112.43.44
Address: 146.112.43.151
Address: 146.112.43.199
Address: 146.112.43.48
Address: 146.112.239.222
Address: 146.112.43.253
Address: 146.112.43.207

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/har_analyzer/

Hi, @jmacaluso711, none of those IP addresses are actually at Netlify. The DNS service being used is simply returning incorrect values. Based on the IP addresses being returned above, I think OpenDNS maybe be the DNS service used.

I say this because of the following data in the WHOIS records lookups for this IP addresses:

# whois.ripe.net

inetnum:        146.112.239.0 - 146.112.239.255
netname:        CISCO-CIE-QUADRA-ASH1
admin-c:        ODNS36692-RIPE
tech-c:         ODNS36692-RIPE
mnt-by:         OPENDNS-MNT
created:        2018-09-21T22:53:05Z
last-modified:  2018-09-21T22:53:05Z
source:         RIPE

role:           OPENDNS NETENG TEAM
address:        OpenDNS
address:        675 West Hastings Street, Suite 500
address:        Vancouver BC V6B 1N2
address:        Canada
phone:          +1 415 513 0439
abuse-mailbox:  abuse@opendns.com
nic-hdl:        ODNS36692-RIPE
mnt-by:         OPENDNS-MNT
created:        2014-05-29T13:22:57Z
last-modified:  2015-01-22T18:28:03Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered

% This query was served by the RIPE Database Query Service version 1.96 (ANGUS)

The root cause the DNS server giving incorrect answers to the DNS queries. Netlify doesn’t use any IP addresses in the 146.112.x.x range and the DNS server returning this information is in error. The DNS server itself is what is redirecting this site to and incorrect IP address on the affected system.

The next step here is to troubleshoot the DNS service itself to find out why it returned the incorrect IP address and get that behavior corrected. Because Netlify doesn’t control your local DNS service (or have access to it), we are unable to change this behavior ourselves.

​Please let us know if there are questions about this issue (for example, questions about how to troubleshoot the local DNS server).