Setup subdomain on Netlify with domain bought from GoDaddy

I have mycustomdomain.com on GoDaddy, which also contains an application hosted on cloud. I would like to use subdomain.mycustomdomain.com for my Netlify site. Is that at all possible?

These are what I have done:

I have added subdomain.mycustomdomain.com to my Netlify site in Site Settings → Domain Management. It’s not listed as my “Primary Domain”.

I have only added the CNAME record as follows:

Name: subdomain.mycustomdomain.com
TTL: 3600
CNAME: netlifysubdomain.netlify.com

When I open subdomain[.]mycustomdomain[.]com , it shows 404. Anything else I should add/remove/replace in the DNS records? If I also changed the A record in my GoDaddy DNS, wouldn’t it affect the root path site ?

I have added the dist folder added to the publish directory on netlify as well.

Hi, @babelpra, are you using the external DNS instructions or the Netlify DNS instructions?

Also, what is the actual domain name (as subdomain.mycustomdomain.com does resolve)?

Hi @luke
The sub-domain is bizcards.hotfixsolutions.co and the domain hotfixsolutions.co was bought from Godaddy. I was able to forward the bizcards request to the netlify url (https://upbeat-meitner-32db63.netlify.app/). But the SSL certificates were not enabled on the netlify url when the request was being forwarded from bizcards. So I updated the nameservers from Godaddy default to the netlify nameservers. Now the bizcards url is no longer working. Can you please help me out here

Hi, @babelpra, for now I would recommend not using Netlify DNS and using the external DNS.

Also, this domain is currently not using Netlify DNS:

$ whois hotfixsolutions.co | grep -i "name server"
Name Server: ns2.dns-parking.com
Name Server: ns1.dns-parking.com
Name Server: NS1.DNS-PARKING.COM
Name Server: NS2.DNS-PARKING.COM

This is the portion of the external DNS instructions which apply here:

Configure a subdomain

To point a subdomain such as blog.petsofnetlify.com or www.petsofnetlify.com to your site on Netlify, you must create a CNAME record with your DNS provider.

For example, if your site’s domain is blog.petsofnetlify.com and your Netlify subdomain is brave-curie-671954.netlify.app :

1. Find your DNS provider’s DNS record settings for your apex domain, petsofnetlify.com .
  2. Add a CNAME record with your subdomain, blog , as the host.
  3. Point the record to your Netlify subdomain, brave-curie-671954.netlify.app .
  4. Save your settings. It may take a full day for the settings to propagate across the global Domain Name System.

This is the CNAME record below (or something similar to this) needed for this subdomain and site:

bizcards.hotfixsolutions.co.		600  	IN	CNAME	upbeat-meitner-32db63.netlify.app.

After the DNS record is working, you can update the SSL certificate here:

If that doesn’t work or if there are any questions, please let us know.