Removing a primary domain for another one

Hello,

I’m having troubles to remove the primary domain currently set up on the project (which apex is not linked to Netlify at all), the error is: “You cannot remove primary custom domain while domain aliases are present”.
Plus, I added a domain that can’t be set as primary because of the error “We’re provisioning a certificate for your site, you cannot change custom domains until that process completes”.

The DNS records on Netlify UI has been removed, the domain aliases too (branches to subdomain) and now I’m trying to put my new domain as primary.

I need help from your side to remove the old primary domain, please.

The project is http://silly-lovelace.netlify.app

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey! Looking at this page in the UI, it would appear that there are two different domains configured for the site: Netlify App

If so, the best thing to do would be to remove all domains from that pane in the UI and then add the domain(s) you’d like to work with :slight_smile:. Consider it a bit of a ‘turn it off and on again’.

Happy to discuss further, if I’ve misunderstood!

Hi!

Thank you sooo much for you help, this is exacly what I was looking for :pray:
I don’t understand why removing everything was the key to the solution but this is wonderful!

Thanks again,
Have a great day and take care
Josh

I’m sure there’s a systematic, DNS-related reason why but yes – you can’t remove the primary domain from a site when there are still domain aliases configured. Glad it’s resolved and thanks for following up here on Community :slight_smile:

1 Like