Receiving ownership error when trying to add custom domain

I am trying to add steindlbau.at as a custom domain, but getting the following errors:

custom_domain is owned by another account

or

name is already taken, steindlbau.at is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones

I tried to add the domain to a different account yesterday and got a different error (can’t remember which) there, so no domain was added.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

https://app.netlify.com/sites/SITE-NAME/settings/domain#custom-domains > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Thanks for the reply!

I would not know of any other account using this domain.

I added the DNS entry, value is this post’s URL.

Looks like there was a DNS zone set up for that domain on the other account. I’ve removed that now so you should be good to go. Please try adding the domain to your site now and let us know how it goes!