Procedure to maintain a customised website built with Netlify CMS

Procedure to maintain a customised website built with Netlify CMS

Overview

I’m not sure how to manage the entire source code of Gatsby CMS site

Purpose of this topic

To get to the appropriate procedure for maintenance of Gatsby CMS site

Idea

Reading this following article Releases | Decap CMS | Open-Source Content Management System , we can see the version management is done through yarn.

If you are using a package manager like Yarn or NPM, use their standard procedure to update. This is how both the Hugo and Gatsby starters are set up.

What if I developed my blog site based on Gatsby starter GitHub - decaporg/gatsby-starter-decap-cms: Example Gatsby + Decap CMS project ? I’m thinking about taking the starter as a SDK of static blog site, aiming to publish the site for official use of my company. If anybody got better ideas than this following procedure to maintain the customised site, would you please share them?

1. clone the latest both package.json and yarn.lock from GitHub - decaporg/gatsby-starter-decap-cms: Example Gatsby + Decap CMS project to localhost ( PC )
  2. Run yarn at local to solve the latest dependency
  3. Investigate diff between before yarn and after in order to find a conflict ( particularly out of customised codes )
  4. Resolve any possible conflicts, committing the codes
  5. Push the commits to a specified Github branch to make it built automatically in Netlify

Optional information

Because there is no “update version” button like in Wordpress admin, I would like to make sure how to do it before starting the static blog site development project with my colleagues :grinning:

No sure if I understand all the requirements in your post, but if it is mostly about how to keep the CMS version up to date, you could use GitHub - renovatebot/renovate: Universal dependency update tool that fits into your workflows..
If you cloned the Gatsby Starter it is already configured for it gatsby-starter-netlify-cms/renovate.json at a25dc51cb0af9b60bd39446fb050b51887d403b4 · netlify-templates/gatsby-starter-netlify-cms · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks for your post! It was new to me to keep up to date through the Renovate, and I will try that. I was asking that how I could keep the codes of website up to date and secure, maintaining the website as a public one.

Question

If you @erez took the Netlify CMS for public website and the codes had become old and unsecured, what procedure would you follow to update them? :grinning:

If this is just about keeping the CMS part secure, updating to latest version regularly and making sure unauthroized people don’t have permissions to your repo via Netlify Identity/Any other authentication mode you’re using should be ok.
Obviously nothing is a 100%, but the CMS itself is an open source project so it’s code is available for anyone to audit.

1 Like