Previous site has been deleted but I still get custom_domain is owned by another account

Hello,

I’m configuring a custom domain for our site but I’m getting the following error:

custom_domain is owned by another account

Information:

• Site name: sharp-beaver-da2deb.netlify.app
  • Domain that we want to use: xbird.io
  • Custom DNS error message: custom_domain is owned by another account

Additional information:

• The domain was used as custom domain for another site on Netlify, which is owned by the agency that developed the site
  • They have deleted the site from their account
  • We have deployed the site to our account and it’s working fine (aside from the custom DNS)
  • We have control over the domain, so we can verify the ownership if needed

Help would be very much appreciated since our site is currently down. Thanks in advance!

Added TXT record for domain ownership verification

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/verified-for-netlify.xbird.io

Just got the old copy removed so you should be unblocked to use it. Let me know if not, please!

It’s working now, thanks a lot!

Hey I’m experiencing the same issue. When I try to add a custom domain to the website, i get error message “custom_domain is owned by another account”. The domain was previously used on another netlify account, that i dont have the acces to, but i got the message it all the DNS zones we disconencted for that website.
the domain name is hahastudio.se. Is there any way to unblock it?

Hey @viktorijavalsoe,
I do see that the DNS zone for that domain is currently set up on another account. If you know the person who controls that account, the quickest way to use the domain on your site would be to ask that person to delete the zone from their account at a URL like this:
https://app.netlify.com/teams/TEAM_SLUG/dns/hahastudio.se#delete-dns-zone

If that isn’t possible, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours :tada:

Hey Jen, thank you for your quick reply. I think I have now added the TXT file to the domain

I’m not able to verify, unfortunately. This is what I’m seeing:

% host -t txt verified-for-netlify.hahastudio.se
Host verified-for-netlify.hahastudio.se not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

whereas I would expect to see:

% host -t txt verified-for-netlify.hahastudio.se
verified-for-netlify.hahastudio.se descriptive text "https://community.netlify.com/t/previous-site-has-been-deleted-but-i-still-get-custom-domain-is-owned-by-another-account/17026/7

How strange, I tried to add the txt file as shown in the image below to my DNS settings, does it look correct?

Hey again, now we have received the confirmation that the TXT file should be in order by the website provider. I have missed to put the data in quotation marks. Could you please try verifying the domain again? Thank you som much in advance

Hi, @viktorijavalsoe. The DNS zone as been deleted from the other account and thank you for making the verification record. (The verification DNS record can be deleted now as it is no longer required.)

If there are any other questions or if the custom domain still cannot be added to the new account, please let us know.

Hi,

I’m experiencing the same issue as well. I previously had a collabsauce.com domain associated with another account. I deleted all the sites from that account associated with that domain name.

I’d like to be able to use that domain on my new account. Would you be able to unblock me as well? I just added the domain verification step to my domain-management list, so it should be good to go for you to verify it on your end.

Thanks!

Hi, @cooperjbrandon. Thank you for creating the verification DNS record. I’ve confirmed it is working. Please feel free to delete the TXT record now that verification is complete.

I’ve also deleted the inactive DNS zone for this custom domain under the other Netlify account. You should be able to add it to your site/account now.

If it still doesn’t work or if there are any questions, please let us know.

Solid thank you so much @luke! Works perfectly now.