Newsletter with Buttondown and Netlify forms

Netlify site:# brave-wright-72a364
Hi Support,
I have been following a tutorial I found about Netifly and button-down, to send newsletters.
My Site forms are working perfectly and I can see the emails arriving in my forms tab, active forms section.
The failing part is when the functions I have added to have the emails sent to button-down API for the newsletter.
I am getting an error during the transmission, that it cannot find my Dotenv dependency, although it is in my package.json file,
I have added my API key here in the corresponding environmental section as needed, also in my repo, I have added the ‘netlify.toml’ with the required:
[build]
base = “.”
functions = “./functions”
The tutorial I followed was the following is below and it is the one that got me to know of Netlify:

Any tips, On what I am doing wrong?
Please note, I am not a professional developer and I am learning full-stack web development, in a Bootcamp, (halfway through! :))
Thanks in advance!

Hi Johnny and welcome to our community!

Not sure how you package up your functions exactly - could you let me know which of these 3 methods you’re using to deploy them?

Hi fool,
Thank you for your time,
I have gone through the link you sent and I I think I have not used any of these 3.
As mentioned, in my initial message, I was following that tutorial, in which it seems not to work for me, and since I haven’t touched lambda functions, I am not sure how to proceed.

I have created a functions folder and added the following 2 files to it:
index.js and submissions-created.js

The code for submissions-created.js:

require('dotenv').config()
import fetch from 'node-fetch'
const { EMAIL_TOKEN } = process.env
export async function handler(event) {
  const email = JSON.parse(event.body).payload.email
  console.log(`Recieved a submission: ${email}`)
  return fetch('https://api.buttondown.email/v1/subscribers', {
    method: 'POST',
    headers: {
      Authorization: `Token ${EMAIL_TOKEN}`,
      'Content-Type': 'application/json',
    },
    body: JSON.stringify({ email }),
  })
    .then(response => response.json())
    .then(data => {
      console.log(`Submitted to Buttondown:\n ${data}`)
    })
    .catch(error => ({ statusCode: 422, body: String(error) }))
}

And the code for the index.js:

// function to submit the form without a redirect.
const processForm = form => {
  const data = new FormData(form)
  data.append('form-name', 'newsletter');
  fetch('/', {
    method: 'POST',
    body: data,
  })
  .then(() => {
    form.innerHTML = `<div class="form--success">Almost there! Check your inbox for a confirmation e-mail.</div>`;
  })
  .catch(error => {
    form.innerHTML = `<div class="form--error">Error: ${error}</div>`;
  })
}
// Whenever a user clicks the “submit” button on the form:
const emailForm = document.querySelector('.email-form')
if (emailForm) {
  emailForm.addEventListener('submit', e => {
    e.preventDefault();
    processForm(emailForm);
  })
}

Hey @JohnnyBoySydney,
Could you please try removing base from your netlify.toml, so that it’s:

[build]
functions = “functions/”

Let us know if that fixes things for you. You shouldn’t have to have a separate package.json file inside your functions/ directory, but that will be our next step if the above change doesn’t work.

Hi Jen,
I removed base from the netlify.toml, but I am still getting the following error:

>  3:23:24 PM: 2020-06-20T05:23:24.158Z	undefined	ERROR	Uncaught Exception 	{"errorType":"Runtime.UserCodeSyntaxError","errorMessage":"SyntaxError: Cannot use import statement outside a module","stack":["Runtime.UserCodeSyntaxError: SyntaxError: Cannot use import statement outside a module","    at _loadUserApp (/var/runtime/UserFunction.js:98:13)","    at Object.module.exports.load (/var/runtime/UserFunction.js:140:17)","    at Object.<anonymous> (/var/runtime/index.js:43:30)","    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1138:30)","    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1158:10)","    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:986:32)","    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:879:14)","    at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (internal/modules/run_main.js:71:12)","    at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47"]}
> 3:23:24 PM: 2020-06-20T05:23:24.806Z	undefined	ERROR	Uncaught Exception 	{"errorType":"Runtime.UserCodeSyntaxError","errorMessage":"SyntaxError: Cannot use import statement outside a module","stack":["Runtime.UserCodeSyntaxError: SyntaxError: Cannot use import statement outside a module","    at _loadUserApp (/var/runtime/UserFunction.js:98:13)","    at Object.module.exports.load (/var/runtime/UserFunction.js:140:17)","    at Object.<anonymous> (/var/runtime/index.js:43:30)","    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1138:30)","    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1158:10)","    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:986:32)","    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:879:14)","    at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (internal/modules/run_main.js:71:12)","    at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47"]}
> 3:23:24 PM: Duration: 195.40 ms	Memory Usage: 15 MB	
> 3:23:24 PM: Unknown application error occurredRuntime.UserCodeSyntaxError

I have checked also the functions folder and in the repo and I do not see any other package.json file in any other location.
I also modified inside netlify.toml file, the functions = “functions/” as I had it as functions = “./functions”

Under the forms tab, I can see the email, so the emails are submitted are sent to Netlify, and is working, it’s just the functions are not.

New error == progress! That one about import statement outside a module looks like it’s about this line in your submissions-created.js file: import fetch from 'node-fetch'

Can you try replacing that with const fetch = require('node-fetch') and see if that works?

Hi Jen,

Thank you for your time to assist me,
And I agree that no error is always a good sign, :slight_smile:
Continuing the troubleshooting, I have modified as requested and I have tried again, and as mentioned earlier, the forms work and I can see my email used, but the function returns the same error.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ah, I thought it was a new error, but sounds like I was mistaken! Sorry about that. At any rate, I think my colleague @perry caught an important step here (from our docs):

Your site must have a build command. If your site doesn’t require a build step, you can set the build command to # .