Newbie help: Another site is already using this domain

I’m trying to link minutemenit.com to Netlify. I previously used Github, but was having issues updating my webpages. My domain is registered through Google Domains (I moved it over from Bluehost). I’m not 100% on what to supply the custom domain section in Google. When I go to my URL it directs to netlify, but says page not found.

hmm, i’m not sure at the moment whether this is a custom domain issue or a page not found issue.

this is the process for resolving “another site is using this domain” type concerns:

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

This is my domain. I had it on Bluehost; then I transferred it to Google Domains. I tried to host through Github, but was told Netlify was more user friendly.

Hey @rclason1,
You have two sites in your Netlify account:

You can’t use that custom domain on both sites; you’ll have to pick which site to use it on. If you’d like for minutemenit.com to point to minutemenit.netlify.app here’s what you’ll need to do:

1. Delete the DNS zone here: Netlify App
  2. Add the custom domain on the correct site here: Netlify App
  3. If prompted to use Netlify DNS, do NOT use it; your DNS records at Google are in good shape and you don’t need to use Netlify DNS
  4. Have some tea :tea: and wait for DNS records to propagate. If the custom domain continues to not work, come back and let us know.

Alternatively, if you want to keep minutemenit.com pointing to dreamy-goldwasser-c9fc88.netlify.app, the first thing to do is get your homepage to show up. That site says “Not found” because you don’t have a file called index.html in your published directory. You have index3.html, but we look specifically for index.html, so you will need to rename that file.

Hope this helps! Give us a shout if you have any questions about any of this.

I kept this site up. I dropped in my site folder with an index.html. I can’t see if it worked or how to delete out the index3.html - I’m still getting the page not found.

@rclason1 If Netlify built your site successfully, then either you dropped your site folder (in ZIP format, I assume?) in the wrong place or you haven’t fixed the index.html issue.

Download the last deploy for your site and see where the files are, make corrections to your local files, reupload, and it should work.

Okay. I think I got it now. Thank you for your help!

If I have files in a folder, whatever is dropped overwrites what was there?

That is correct. Nothing is retained from build to build except your site settings.

Hello, the black-ed.com domain name is not bound to my account, how can I cancel it? simcmcc@gmail.com thank you

Hey there, @ideasice :wave:

It looks like you have opened two threads about this! We ask that all folks keep related questions to one thread in order to streamline support. Let’s continue this conversation here: Already verified with google TXT black-ed.com ownership - #2 by coelmay

Thanks for understanding!

1 Like