Netlify support for Dotnet Core

Hello. I heard that dotnet core isn’t supported? Is this true? What if I use TravisCI or Heroku or Buddy or Docker?? Has this ever been done before??

Hey @jboothua! :wave:t2:
Welcome to The Community :slight_smile:

Let’s take a few steps back - Netlify is generally a hosting provider for static files (with serverless functions and other enhancements available, but generally static files is the premise). The build process that would use Dotnet is a Linux image codenamed ‘Xenial’. You can view the software packaged by default here but as of right now it does not include Dotnet Core.

But that’s sort of the crux of it - is there a static site generator built on Dotnet Core right now? The only thing I could find is https://wyam.io although I’d never previously heard of it. I personally love C# and would be excited for a Dotnet Core SSG to come about, but so far I don’t think there’s a lot of movement in that space. Should one come around, you could request that Netlify add Dotnet Core to the build image and I’m sure they’d consider it!

Hope that helps!

Jon

thank you so much!! i’m brand new here, could you show me the easiest way to request that. also I wonder if I could make a Docker image with dotnet core on it and deploy that, or anything such trickery?

Well this thread in it of itself is a request to add Dotnet Core support to the Netlify build image, but like I said, that request likely won’t be worked on unless there’s a compelling and/or popular SSG written in Dotnet Core.

You can certainly rig up your own Docker images and wizardry on all sorts of platforms, but integrating that into Netlify may be… tough.

In what way are you using Dotnet Core to generate static files?

Jon

Ok Great! Sorry I’m brand new to Netlify and what it does. I think maybe we are on different pages when it comes to “Static” however. I am very much looking to run dotnet core websites… Dynamic sites.

I know dotnet core is pretty compatible in theory, and I’m looking for some mixture of tools and tricks so that I can CI/CD a dotnet core app for continuous smoke testing.

We are trying to avoid Azure for hosting if possible, but it seems we might have to go that route, or forget about CD.

I was hoping that in theory we could use Netlify to fill this CD (deployment) need, however, I am not sure if it’s possible to run a dotnet core site on Netlify, it sounds like it’s not possible.

So I was also curious if I used Docker or something else along with Netlify is this possible?

And if not, I guess then I just want to put that request to support it in the future I guess :slight_smile:

But as far as a static site, I dont think that is coming into play in my scenario personally.
I would like to run/build/deploy a dotnet core app and was hoping Netlify was the place to be for deployment part…

Oh well.

I will stay tuned for this feature request though!

You might want to read this topic to get a better understanding of what Netlify does and does not do:

1 Like

Has there been any movement on this? Statiq (https://statiq.dev/) seems to be gaining some interest, but I cannot get it to work on Netlify. I believe it has something to do with using Linux- on GitHub Actions I had to switch to Windows, otherwise I got the same error that Netlify is giving me:

/opt/buildhome/.dotnet/sdk/5.0.202/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(4632,5): warning MSB3026: Could not copy “/opt/buildhome/.nuget/packages/microsoft.sqlserver.dacfx/150.4573.2/lib/netstandard2.0/ru-RU/Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.Extensions.resources.dll” to “bin/Debug/net5.0/ru-RU/Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.Extensions.resources.dll”. Beginning retry 1 in 1000ms. Could not find a part of the path ‘/opt/build/repo/bin/Debug/net5.0/ru-RU/Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.Extensions.resources.dll’. [/opt/build/repo/StatiqGenerator.csproj]

If Netlify cannot run .NET Core applications, I will try to use Statiq’s seemingly built-in Netlify support (https://statiq.dev/web/deployment/netlify), though I have used it in a GitHub Action and it didn’t seem to actually do anything (no errors, nor logs regarding deployment).

hi there @kentico-ericd , sorry to be slow to reply. As far as I can tell, there has been nothing new on this front. If are able to make it work with statiq, please do let us know.

Hi @perry & @kentico-ericd ,

I just came across this now and thought I’d mention, I have a site in Netlify running with both Statiq (so .NET) and Kontent by Kentico in case it is of any help.

My build command is simple dotnet run with environment variables set up in Netlify. It’s been there since March of '21. I’ve got a post about it here if that helps:

Is it possible to deploy an Asp.Net MVC project to Netlify? I am struggling with it. I have finally figured the deploy out, but it was breaking because in an MVC app there’s no index.html file at the app’s root.

You need to generate one and if it’s not possible to generate an index.html, you need to redirect the request to the file you’re genering. You can check out Netlify Redirects for that.