Netlify Custom Domain Issue

Sitename: toulous
Domain Attempted: www.toulous.io

Issue:
I went to add a custom domain like I have done a number of times now. Normally after verification I get the option to add netlify name servers to my domain provider, then can use netlify dns.

This time however - the setup modal just skipped that part right and instead asked me to add a cname record. This is not what I want.

I removed the domain and tried to add it again (thinking I had accidently clicked through the step) and got the same thing. If I try to do a ‘setup through netlify dns’ step - I get the following error:

“A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1” error trying to create DNS zone “toulous.io

Probably because I had already tried to add it. Can you please clear out all the current dns settings so I can hook up www.toulous.io through netlify dns by adding netlify name servers to my domain provider (namecheap) ?

Edward

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having some domain woes :frowning: Give this guide a read through, hopefully it will solve your problem. Let us know if it doesn’t.

No it does not. Namecheap does not use NS1 (unfortunately). I think there are dns settings under the hood that netlify wrote initially that are causing a conflict.

Hi, @EdwardGoomba, you are correct. There was a sync issue between Netlify and the service we use for our DNS infrastructure (NS1).

To summarize, the DNS zone for this custom domain was deleted at Netlify but we didn’t successfully delete the DNS zone at NS1. This was a bug on our side so thank you for pointing it out.

I’ve corrected the sync issue manually and you should be able to add this custom domain to your sites and or domain configurations at Netlify again now. (If not, please do reply here again anytime.)

I’ve also cross-linked the bug to this community topic so if/when this sync issue if known to be resolved, we’ll post another follow-up about it here. Note, the issue itself is quite rare but rare still means it does happen. In short, this is a “known issue”. We can find it and correct it when it does occur in the meantime.

If there are other questions or if you still cannot add the custom domain, please let us know.

Thanks @luke ! I use NS1 for dns for any projects that are not on netlify. Love their service.
I was able to add the domain successfully.

1 Like