Netlify CDN or DNS blocked in Russia?

answered

Hi, there!
Looks like netlify fell down in the unequal war between Russian RKN and telegram, looks like no one my site, which deployed on netlify, could not be open without VPN. Could somebody help me to figure out what going on?

1 Like

Hi Vally,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with our CDN in Russia! It’s not your fault and we are working hard to get the situation resolved.

Here is what we can tell you:

1. We are currently working with the Russian authorities in order to resolve this roadblock, and have contacted them several times over the last few months.
  2. We have been using our corporate “network” of contacts in other companies, and when speaking to others, it seems like that they are taking an unusually long time to respond to our requests, even though we have made them through the correct channels. We will keep you updated as soon as we have information that seems reliable as to how and when this situation is going to be resolved.
  3. We’ve begun exploring working with a Russia-local agency to see if they can help us “from the inside”. They advise that these blocks seem likely to be accidental, and are somehow leftover from the “Great Telegram Blockage of 2018”, though we moved nodes to new addresses and found that they too were blocked shortly afterwards, so there must be more to the story. We do use network providers that were affected by the block.
  4. Finally we are considering trying to set up a CDN Point of Presence within Russia. We’ve received one referral to a hosting company but we’d be interested in introductions to other ones as we have some unique needs and will be shopping around - if you know of any to recommend, please share contact info here or via DM!

In the meantime, if you or anyone else, has experiences that seem relevant to this issue, or can think of a way to help, we would love to talk to you about it - reply here or email us at the support helpdesk.

Yep, it’s really hardcore to manage any questions with the Russian government. Setup CDN point in Russia, in my opinion, could be a very cool, also in Belarus, we have a low about all business web sites should be hosted physically inside a country, will be great have a CDN point here. Same time, this Belarusian point could be some kind of backup for Russia. How I know only one company can provide it here www.active.by. I will ask them about how it works and etc. and will back to you.

2 Likes