Log file analysis for SEO purposes?

Hello guys,

I’m wondering if there is a chance for us to get access to server logs for analysis?

If it’s not possible to get access to the logs can you tell us how to send UDP request on every page load to an external service?

Thank you.

2 Likes

hi Suganthan, thanks for your patience, i wanted to check in with the team about this.

We can’t provide you with access logs at this time, but we do have an open feature request for this and I’ll add your voice to the choir for that. If we should provide this functionality we can let you know more details and whether it is available at your plan level once we get closer.

As far as UDP goes, we do think it is possible to create a function to send the UDP request, but it would require running a function with every request/ pageload, kind of like a tracking pixel if you will.

The downsides to this would be that it would definitely create a ton of function invocations (depending on your traffic) and it might (due to function execution), cause slower pageloads. It’s out of our scope of support to write that function for you, but we do think, generally speaking, that it would be possible.

if you have further general questions, we’ll be happy to help.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply Perry. I hope the team would consider adding the log file support in the future. I’d be happy to upgrade my account as necessary to gain access. Thanks again :sunglasses:

1 Like

we will absolutely keep you posted!

1 Like

Hi,

I’m with Suganthan on this one. It would be really useful to drive our SEO decisions.
Netlify Analytics are not granular enough yet on this topic.

Cheers,

2 Likes

totally with you, @jefftediber!

I have changed my DNS to Cloudflare and using Logflare to do log analysis. You can also use seolyzer.io and CF workers. Same setup. Just incase anyone else looking for a solution.

1 Like

@perry I would also love to be added to this feature request if possible. My company’s leadership has been asking me to access our server logs for a while to ship to our platform, but I haven’t found a way to implement this with Netlify.

Thank you!

The feature is not built yet, so you’re not missing anything. We will follow up in this thread when there is a solution available!

Curious, is this a confirmation that this feature is planned at some point, or just that if it’s released it will be communicated here? I understand product roadmaps are private, just clarifying the intent.

Logs are definitely a must-have.

It is a planned feature that our team is in discovery phase on. We will post an announcement in this thread when it is available, though I am not writing the code or planning the release so cannot commit to a timeline personally :slight_smile:

It’s pretty clear what customers want, but it’s less clear how we can “export” our terabytes of daily logs in a reliable way that protects your visitors’ personally identifiable information, which we are prohibited by the GDPR from sharing (or even keeping for the long term - more details on our retention here: Netlify’s commitment to protect your data).

Our stopgap/first pass was providing the Analytics service, though we realize it is “one size fits most” rather than solving all needs.

1 Like

Hi here, no news about this feature essential for SEO?

Nope! As I said above, we will post in this thread if the situation changes. It will not change in the next month or two, to set expectations.

Also, could you explain why this is essential for SEO? Our other million customers do not seem to need it and some of them such as citrix are quite SEO-savvy, so maybe we can help dispel some rumors or help you find or gather the info you need to achieve your goals?