Let's Encrypt TLS while using different domain registrar

Hello Community,

I have a website with a domain at Google Domains that points to my Netlify website using a CNAME and A record. All seems to be working, but my Let’s Encrypt TLS has an error that says:

"BLANK.com doesn’t appear to be served by Netlify"

We can’t renew your Let’s Encrypt certificate automatically until the issue is resolved. Check our troubleshooting guide for more information on how to fix the problem, and then renew the certificate.

Can this be fixed while using a different domain host but using the CNAME / A records?

P.S. I initially received the certificate because I used the NETLIFY DNS hosting instead of Google, but I switched back due to wanting email forwarding.

Thank you!

Hi, @Lepricon, and welcome to the Netlify community site. :smiley:

I believe you have a DNS zone for the domain configured here. If you aren’t using Netlify DNS having a zone configured will cause issues with SSL certificate renewal.

Would you please delete the unused zone and click the “Renew certificate” button under “Site Name” > Settings > Domain management > HTTPS?

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, please reply here and we’ll keep looking.

Hi Luke,

Thank you for the help. Fortunately, the site still works after deleting the DNS zone.

Unfortunately, I still have the “doesn’t appear to be served by Netlify” warning message.

Do you think I need to wait for this certificate to expire since it was issued under Netlify DNS? Or do you think I just need to try to renew again tomorrow?

Hi, @Lepricon. The last error to occur always displays there, even if the last renewal or provisioning attempt succeeded.

This has now occurred. I’m showing the SSL certificate was updated at 5:54 PM PDT on 2020-03-18. Note, even with the successful renewal, the error is still shown. The certificate was renewed/updated though.

​Please let us know if there are other question about this.

1 Like