Let's Encrypt cert fails to provision

Hey All,

I have tried a couple of times but provisioning a Let’s Encrypt certificate for my domain keeps failing. My DNS is pointed at Netlify and I can confirm this by looking at the domain dashboard and also by clicking “Verify DNS”.

When clicking provision, I get the dialog but, after clicking “Provision certificate” I get the error:

missing certificate

and also:

We could not provision a Let’s Encrypt certificate for your custom domain.

Any ideas? I had the domain previously pointed at DigitalOcean and did have a Let’s encrypt cert there but, I destroyed the Droplet and removed the domain. Perhaps it takes a little time? Thank you in advance.

Looks like destroying the droplet on the DigitalOcean side did the trick o/\o

Hi, @schalkneethling, and welcome to the Netlify community site. :slightly_smiling_face:

The provisioning of the SSL certificate is dependent on the DNS configuration for the domain. The most common cause of these types of issues, delays in changes to DNS records:

It is possible that deleting the DigitalOcean droplet affected the DNS records but I’m not aware of how this would have happened. It is possible that this was the change that was required.

Does DigitalOcean also control the DNS for this domain? If so, that might explain why deleting the droplet affected the DNS.

If not though, I strongly suspect that deleting the droplet was a coincidence and that TTL values and DNS caching were the real root cause.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.