Large Media files not rendering on live site

I’ve successfully added media to Large Media, but only a few .svgs are rendering on my live site: (frontendsource.com)

Everything renders correctly locally, and the pointers in my git repo seem to be correct (I followed the docs exactly).

This is my .gitattributes file

*.jpg filter=lfs diff=lfs merge=lfs -text
*.png filter=lfs diff=lfs merge=lfs -text
*.jpeg filter=lfs diff=lfs merge=lfs -text
*.gif filter=lfs diff=lfs merge=lfs -text
*.svg filter=lfs diff=lfs merge=lfs -text

git[[:space:]]lfs[[:space:]]track
git[[:space:]]lfs[[:space:]]migrate[[:space:]]info
git[[:space:]]lfs[[:space:]]ls-files
git[[:space:]]lfs[[:space:]]migrate[[:space:]]import[[:space:]]--everything[[:space:]]--include=assets/images/** filter=lfs diff=lfs merge=lfs -text

I was able to get .svg files to load to the Large Media folder, but the others don’t appear

All files seemed to be tracked currently

UPDATE:
I’ve spent 2 days troubleshooting Netlify LFS and it has corrupted my git multiple times. Seriously exhausted after following the docs to a T multiple times.

Hi, @titusdecali, and welcome to our Netlify community site: :+1:

I’m not seeing a Netlify Large Media (NLM) configuration for this site here. Did you delete the site and recreate it?

If not, NLM has never been enabled so something about the install process for NLM has failed.

Do you still want to use NLM with this site? If so, what is the output of the following command for this repo locally?

netlify lm:info

Also, would you please send us the output of this as well?

netlify status

Thanks for your response Luke.

I had it set up, but when I tried to pull the images from my previous commits, it mangled my git tree. This happened twice and I wasted two days trying to get it to work. I’ve rebuilt the site without it which is why you’re not seeing the NLM setup.

I might try to get this working later, but I can tell you that while getting the site online was a breeze, using NLM definitely has not been.

Hi, @titusdecali, there are several ways things could have not been working but without the ability to troubleshoot things, I can only guess what the issue was.

Possibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:

• the Git LFS pointers were being stored locally and when enabling Netlify Large Media for Git LFS storage the pointers (not the actual images) we uploaded to NLM
  • NLM doesn’t download the actual files during the build process - if image processing is being done during this build this is incompatible with NLM (but not third-party Git LFS services)

Again, I’m only mentioning common scenarios and I’m not suggesting that I know that this was the cause in this case. I don’t have enough information to determine a root cause here.

If you want to test NLM in the future, please let us know. We’d be happy to troubleshoot any issues encountered.

I was also having issues with the images taking a ridiculous amount of time to load (idle time was up to 10 seconds per image, with some 1.2mb images taking over 1 minute to fully load. I thought I had done something wrong, but eventually found Netlify was the cause. Image serving is FAR too slow to be useful. Sure, I could upgrade to a paid plan, but 5 minutes after I relaunched on the free Firebase tier, everything was snappy and loaded instantly.

Sorry to say that I really wanted to love Netlify, but this hasn’t been a good experience for me so far.

hi titus, we’re about as bummed as you are that you had less-than-ideal experience re: loading times, but as Luke mentioned above, we didn’t actually get to work through troubleshooting this with you as the NLM setup was removed, so, our hands our pretty tied as far as being able to point you to solutions as far as the slowness you were seeing. I’m unsure as to whether the slowness you are reporting was on files served through NLM or not?

I believe you that you had a tricky time setting up NLM - but, that said, we do have other customers who use it without problems, which i’m mentioning to say that there can be some gotchas in setting it up - which is what we would have worked through with you if we had a NLM setup to work on :slight_smile:

As far as large/r assets go that are used in sites and apps without NLM - our CDN is explicitly optimized for smaller files. Bigger files, such as the ones you are describing, don’t get cached, and in that case, will be served “streaming” from our origin at a rate of ~1MByte/sec, which may explain some of the load times you are seeing.

At any rate, we’re sorry to hear things didn’t work out for you, if you are ever interested in revisiting this, we’ll be here if you have problems. :muscle: