Large difference between page views and referrals

What is the difference between these two? Hard to tell from docs.

Unique page views I see 85,000

Top referrals I see 175,000

Does this mean half of all traffic is 404ing on my site?

Recently moved everything over to static site/Netlify so I’m curious about the differences.

Especially since previous analytics were in the neighborhood of 30k a month

(I much prefer Netlify’s numbers :grin:)

What’s your site’s URL? There are many configurations that “hide” visitors, and we’d need to examine your setup to be able to guess what might be going on.

1 Like

https://narrativefirst.com

OK, thanks for that. No misconfiguration in DNS which is a frequent cause of weird numbers in analytics (if you put cloudflare in front of netlify, you end up with a couple hundred unique visitors max, since we count “uniqueness” for visitors via IP addresses).

I think that the disconnect you’re seeing though may still have some notes of that situation:

1. I think the “sources” graph is for ALL resources, while the “pageviews” graph is just html (judged by “Content-Type” that is sent).
  2. since unique visitors = unique IP’s; in case you have a lot of visitors from things like conferences and networks that share a small number of egress IP’s like some mobile providers, you can have a lot of “visitors” from 1 IP that all have different referrers.

Thanks for this. I don’t know if it’s the holiday or what, but I’ve read through your response about five times and still don’t understand 1 or 0 :rofl:

Hi,

When people are already on your site and navigating between pages it’s not going register a page-view because they aren’t making additional page requests, they are just requesting JS chunks since you are using an SPA (nuxt hydrates in to a vue app on the client). The majority of the time you’ll get a new pageview when someone begins a session.