Is Jamstack more eco-friendly than other traditional stacks?

Hi, I am planning to redo our corporate websites deploying via netlify (hugo+forestry+github stack). We wanted to make a story for our website renovation using the environment sustainability of the jamstack model vs. dynamic model (wordpress), taking pride on having “greener” websites, with fewer server calls and thus lesser heat and energy consumption.

We have two questions:

1. does it make sense? (is it true? I know there can be exceptions in every stack, but if it’s generally true…)
  2. do you have any sort of material we could use on this topic to back it up?

we already saw the white paper on the jamstack 10x but the ecological subject was not covered.

thank you for your help
kind regards

Giuseppe

1 Like

Hi @gcatalfamo, I don’t have any numbers or studies to point you to, but I can tell you that serving content from the edge is more eco-friendly than serving it from a single server. This alone would make a difference since there is a cost to transferring data from one location to another. Also with wordpress you are using cpu cycles to render each page view, while serving static content does not need to render for each age view, just transfer the file (which wordpress has to do anyway). Again, I don’t have any data to back this up, but it all makes sense. One writeup that might be useful is https://blog.cloudflare.com/the-climate-and-cloudflare/ from cloudflare about serving data from the edge, which you are doing with Netlify and static sites.

3 Likes