How to deploy site from Netlify via FTP?

I have a Hugo based site, which is deployed automatically from Github to Netlify, but I would like to deploy it also via FTP to a classic webhosting.

hi there, probably the easiest way is to build the site locally, and then upload the generated files manually to your other webhost using FTP.

Does that sound like it might work?

Hi @plaidshirtakos ! :wave:
Which hosting provider do you use ?

Hello @amalik ,
it is a local, small hosting company. My question is about automatic build of site and deployment via FTP after each modification on GitHub repository.

Hi, @plaidshirtakos. Netlify doesn’t deploy to other services.

There is no FTP program available in the build image so it isn’t possible to deploy from the build outside of Netlify at this time. Our automated deployments are only to our own CDN.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

So this is interesting: I’ve had many clients who require the sort of automation a CI pipeline (ie: automatic building via Git and CMS webhooks) answers but still need/want to host the site itself themselves at the end of it all.

Deploying via FTP is the natural answe. It’s relatively straightforward to tie into your build process and use a package like ftp-deploy to push your generated site out to a remote location.

I’ve been using AWS for just this (in amongst the site that I’m not able to host myself) for a decent couple of years now, if you wanted to see how my approach works, I wrote about it last September: Automatically Deploy a Static Gatsby Site via FTP, by John Kavanagh - in my case it’s Gastby but there’s no reason you couldn’t do much the same with a Hugo build.

The reason I’ve come across this thread now is that I’ve been experimenting with doing the same with Netlify, and have come to the conclusion that it’s not viable here unless your site is relatively small. You have to remember that Netlify is specifically set up to be the middle and end of your build pipeline: both do the build, and host it for you afterwards.

ftp-deploy does run here, but you’re then paying for the minutes of machine time taken to upload your site afterwards - which can get expensive as transfer rates seem fairly low - and it’s just not what Netlify is designed to do.