How do I use cloudflare DNS with a Netlify custom domain

Hi,

I am trying to set to custom domain in netlify. There are some questions posted in this forum as well but that does not solve my issue. here is what I did:

1. Added custom domain: www.thenewspaper.tech
    ( Note: I added thenewspaper.tech but netlify suggested to use www as primary domain.
  2. In my Custom Domain Panel in Netlify, I see three rows:
    (a) Default subdomain : one that is issued with mydomain.netlify.com
    (b) www.thenewspaper.tech as Primary domain : Here I see Check DNS Configuration Button clicking on which I see a pop up saying “point www CNAME record” and the step is to add www CNAME mydomain.netlify.com. I have already done this in Cloudflare in DNS Tab
    © thenewspaper.tech - Redirects automatically to primary domain : Here I see Check DNS Configuration Button clicking on which I see a pop up saying "There are two options. Recommended is point ANAME or ALIAS record to mydomain.netlify.com" and the step is to add thenewspaper.tech ALIAS mydomain.netlify.com..

Now, How do I set up the Step 2© in Cloudflare DNS tab. I don’t want to use Netlify CDN for now at least. Here are my CF crypto and page rules setting:

Page rule setting is:
Rule1:
www.thenewspaper.tech/*
The settings are : Forwarding URL 301 Permanent Redirect: https://thenewspaper.tech/$1
Rule 2: /thenewspaper.tech/* Cache Level: Cache Everything, Edge Cache TTL 14 Days.

Can someone please help me here.

Thanks,
Ajeet

Hi Ajeet,

did you have a look through these articles:

?

Hi @perry
Thanks so much Sir :slight_smile: Seems like the issue is fixed…I wanted to do a tresting for a small site before recommending others. I went through all the articles on Netlify with CF. What the first article saying is I completely understand that I need to turn off the orange color to grey. What I did not understand was the CNAME/ALIAS thing. Earlier I tried adding two CNAMEs in DNS tab in CF but I did not know that I need to turn off color as well to grey.
Seems like my site is up and running but I still I want to clarify a few things please.

In cloudflare settings:
1. Can you please check if the settings are correct for DNS. I have added only 2 records ( there is also a notification in the image, is this a problem)

Also, I have this: CNAME Flattening as Flatten CNAME at root…
Can you please verify of this settings in DNS is correct and will not conflict with Netlify ?
2. In Crypto tab: I have ---- Full Strict SSL, Always use HTTPS, Automatic HTTPS Rewrites ON,-- Is this setting correct and will not conflict with Netlify ?
3. In Page rule, I have only one rule: thenewspaper.tech/* Cache Level: Cache Everything, Edge Cache TTL 14 Days. THis wont conflict with netlify ?

Thanks so much for the support so far .
Ajeet

For Cloudflare, I believe a CNAME on the bare domain is effectively an ALIAS record:

For the questions above I have the following answers:

Can you please verify of this settings in DNS is correct and will not conflict with Netlify ?

Yes, this appear to be the correct settings to me.

In Crypto tab: I have ---- Full Strict SSL, Always use HTTPS, Automatic HTTPS Rewrites ON,-- Is this setting correct and will not conflict with Netlify ?

It looks like this site is using Netlify’s SSL certificate. Also, all Netlify sites are SSL by default. I do think these settings are compatible with Netlify. However, I’m not sure if they apply as I don’t see Cloudflare serving the content (they appear to be doing DNS resolution only).

In Page rule, I have only one rule: thenewspaper.tech/* Cache Level: Cache Everything, Edge Cache TTL 14 Days. THis wont conflict with netlify ?

Again, I don’t think these apply at all because Netlify is serving the content and Cloudflare is doing DNS resolution only. (At least, that is what I see at the present time in my testing.)

If there are other questions, we’re happy to answer.

1 Like

Thanks @luke and @perry