Host a subdomain on ovh

Hi,

I have a domain name and an ovh subscription. However, I hosted my site on netlify.

I’m a beginner in development and I managed to link my netlify site to my ovh domain, but I would like to know the dns configuration to adopt so that one of my subdomains is hosted on my ovh hosting.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi, @adri, and welcome to our Netlify community site.

Does you domain name use Netlify DNS or some other DNS service? Also, would you be willing to share (or send in private message) the domain name being used?

In either case, though, OVH should give you a DNS record to create to link your subdomain to the site/VM there. This will usually be an A record (IP address) or a CNAME (a domain name at their service). Once you have that information, you’ll create the required record to point the subdomain to the A or CNAME resource provide.

If there are other questions about this, specific details about the domain name (or subdomain) you want to link and the instructions from OVH will be helpful. Those details will help us to give a more targeted answer.

Hello,
I also have similar problem. I have domain from ohv (for example xyz.com)

I have changed dns in domain settings to:

But now (after 48h) my domain is redirecting to “Webmail: dostęp do e-maili OVH na stronie ovhcloud.com | OVHcloud

I removed all redirection from domain settings.
Any ideas? :slight_smile:

hi @Maciekek - are you sure you don’t have a _redirects file on your project that is causing this?

Hi, @adri. I got that custom domain information. I’m going to use this example information below to explain:

My domain is example.com and my sub-domain is admin.example.com

Let’s also pretend the Netlify site is at the subdomain adri.netlify.com.

First, is the domain using Netlify DNS? In this case, the answer is “no”.

So, the instructions for this are the external DNS instructions below:

I see this domain (the actual domain - not example.com) using DNS servers at ovh.net. So, at that DNS service, you will create one CNAME record (not an A record). This record might use values like this:

Type: CNAME
Host: admin
Value: adri.netlify.com
TTL: 3600

This should result in a DNS record similar to this:

admin.example.com.		3600	IN	CNAME	adri.netlify.com.

Then, in the Netlify web app, go to “Site Name” > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains. Add the custom domain “admin.example.com” (using your actual domain name) there.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

@adri, just one follow-up. I do see Netlify DNS configured for this domain but it is not active at this time.

The DNS service is still with ovh.net because the name server records fro this domain still point there. If you want to enable Netlify DNS for this domain, the instructions will be different. ​Please let us know if that is the case.

Hi, @Maciekek, and welcome to our Netlify community site. It helps to use the actual domain names instead of example. DNS record are not secrets and can be queried by anyone anonymously. I encourage you to feel free to post the actual domain names at this will make troubleshooting simpler.

You can private message (PM) that to one of our support staff and I’ve confirmed that PMs are enabled for your community login. Note, that only one person can see the PM and this will likely mean a slower reply than posting the information publicly. Please feel free to reply to however you prefer though.

For the example, xyz.com, I can see it is using AWS Route 53 with a check of the name server records:

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#NS/xyz.com

The ouput at the URL above is (for me at this time):

id 5693
opcode QUERY
rcode NOERROR
flags QR RD RA
;QUESTION
xyz.com. IN NS
;ANSWER
xyz.com. 21599 IN NS ns-1418.awsdns-49.org.
xyz.com. 21599 IN NS ns-1664.awsdns-16.co.uk.
xyz.com. 21599 IN NS ns-32.awsdns-04.com.
xyz.com. 21599 IN NS ns-796.awsdns-35.net.
;AUTHORITY
;ADDITIONAL

Would you please search for your domain’s name server (NS) records using that lookup tool above (or other tool of your choice)?

Does that lookup show these DNS servers below?

dns1.p01.nsone.net
dns2.p01.nsone.net
dns3.p01.nsone.net
dns4.p01.nsone.net

If not, my next recommendation would be to consult the documentation at ovh (or their support team) to find out how to change the NS records for your domain with their service. I think this in the correct documentation below:

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

Hello @luke,
Thank you for your reply.

I think, I managed to do a job but in a different way that changing DNS. Not sure if this is correct :slight_smile:

I restore DNS config on OVH (i am using default dns)
I just added A record to netifly IP address: 104.198.14.52

xyz.com is not my domain, it was just an example :slight_smile: