HELP with Delopyment

heroku - backend and netlify - frontend

site name: https://elegant-turing-385673.netlify.app/
error message: Page Not Found

Looks like you’ve followed a broken link or entered a URL that doesn’t exist on this site.

Back to our site

If this is your site, and you weren’t expecting a 404 for this path, please visit Netlify’s “page not found” support guide for troubleshooting tips

• Build problems? Link or paste the FULL build log & build settings screenshot

Was wondering if anyone had experience with netlify and heroku. I have a project that’s using JS frontend and Rails as backend. Looks like heroku is working with the backend and netlify was able to deploy the app, but I don’t see anything on the heroku-app website or the netlify website . Any help is appreciated, thank you

hi there, not to be obtuse, but did you read the guide as we suggested? :slight_smile: That would be our first step!

Hi yes, and I changed the publish directory. And it still isn’t showing up

Best,

Rebecca Tong

Hi, @rbcatong. This looks like a Ruby on Rails site. That requires a Ruby application server and there is no application server at Netlify.

There is more about why this is here:

If you need Ruby at “browse time” (meaning, Ruby server-side rendering) then it won’t be possible to host this site at Netlify.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

Hi yes I hosted the backend on heroku so I wanted to use Netlify to do the front end, but it’s not showing anything. I can see the backend via heroku.

Best,

Rebecca Tong

hi there, could you post your most recent build log and your package.json please? and a screenshot of your build serttings? thanks.

I don’t see a package. json but here is my link to my github GitHub - rbcatong/rails-js-project

build log : 2:10:34 PM: Build ready to start
2:10:36 PM: build-image version: b0258b965567defc4a2d7e2f2dec2e00c8f73ad6
2:10:36 PM: build-image tag: v3.4.1
2:10:36 PM: buildbot version: 8c957a6d09a03023cea4239847cc73a9cb64eeb7
2:10:36 PM: Fetching cached dependencies
2:10:36 PM: Failed to fetch cache, continuing with build
2:10:36 PM: Starting to prepare the repo for build
2:10:36 PM: No cached dependencies found. Cloning fresh repo
2:10:36 PM: git clone GitHub - rbcatong/rails-js-project
2:10:41 PM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/master
2:10:43 PM: No build command found, continuing to publishing
2:10:43 PM: Starting to deploy site from ‘/’
2:10:43 PM: Creating deploy tree asynchronously
2:10:43 PM: Creating deploy upload records
2:10:45 PM: 1294 new files to upload
2:10:45 PM: 0 new functions to upload
2:11:22 PM: Starting post processing
2:11:22 PM: Post processing - HTML
2:11:23 PM: Finished processing build request in 46.936470474s
2:11:23 PM: Post processing - header rules
2:11:23 PM: Post processing - redirect rules
2:11:23 PM: Post processing done
2:11:23 PM: Site is live

hi there, can you change the base directory to makeup-frontend please?

the publish directory is for when you are using a static site generator and publishing a site that is built on deploy. You should leave it blank for this site as it is just some static html.