Form not working

I can’t get the form on my static HTML website to work:

https://www.egoselfaxis.com/contact/

I’ve reviewed and followed the instructions - and double-checked them several times - but I still always see 0 verified submissions, and 0 spam submissions.

What’s the deal? Are you guys not longer offering or supporting Forms Level 0 any more?

– Yvan

Hiya, sorry you are having trouble getting your forms to work.

This Support Guide is the first port of call to debug any forms issues. There are also many other Support Guides for forms - you can find them here: #Netlify-support:support-guides

We also recommend trying to search the forums or look at topics tagged Netlify forms if you haven’t already - it’s likely your question was already asked by someone else!

If you are still having problems, please provide more information such as what you have already tried, and a link to your live form. :slight_smile:

Hey Yvan :wave:t2:

Forms level 0 is most definitely still supported, and still wildly useful.

Would you mind posting the source for that particular <form> tag just to clarify before digging deeper please?

Jon

Umm … I’m trying to post the HTML for my form here, but it’s stripping out a lot of the markup. Is there a trick to this that I should be aware of?

You’ll probably want to use a Markdown code block

hey @ygagnon!

can you try changing the input type="submit" format to <button type="submit">Some text</button>?

We may not be picking things up correctly. Also cute dog!

Hey Yvan,

To be honest, I’m pretty confused by your site. I suppose that yes, this is a static HTML website, but it’s drawing a lot of assets from a wp-content directory - is this like a Shifter site or something? Netlify Community isn’t necessarily able to help with implementation-specific details… after all, Netlify is just a hosting platform, but I’m perplexed and curious to help you fix this.

The part that’s odd for me is that I see your rendered form, and it does indeed look like Netlify caught your form at build time and registered the form on the ‘back end’, but what’s confusing me is the form submit process. Do you have some sort of jQuery submit handler wired up to that form? If so, I think it looks wired up right, but I would be curious to see that code to confirm. I’m not going to parse minified jQuery to figure it out :wink:

Another oddity for Netlify norms is that when you purely use the netlify attribute without anything else, the POST resolves to this sort of page for the user:

Yours does not. It renders a “Thank You” inline even though you didn’t tell Netlify to do that.

As an example, I just whipped up this very, very tiny single-file repository to prove out the easy-path use case of the Netlify attribute and what using it looks like. Go ahead and fill out a random name to https://test-netlify-forms.netlify.app and see how it reacts vs. your form.

Jon

I tried changing the submit button as you suggested, but I still get the same behavior :worried:

This used to be a WordPress site that I converted to a static HTML site using a plugin a while back. That’s why it’s pulling some of the assets from a wp_content folder. The form used to submit via ajax, but I made a point to comment out all of the JavaScript that was handling that when I was troubleshooting the other day. You can see the commented out code for youself here:

https://www.egoselfaxis.com/wp-content/themes/SimplePress/includes/page_templates/js/et-ptemplates-frontend.js

What’s confusing, however, is that the form is behaving as though there’s still some Javascript at work behind the scenes … which appears to be pulling content from the Thank You page that I originally had set up as the action attribute for the form:

https://www.egoselfaxis.com/thank-you/

It makes absolutely no sense because after I fill out and submit the form, the page URL remains exactly the same, but the page title and contents is identical to what’s on my old Thank You page. It’s almost as though Netlfiy never let go of the action=“/thank-you/” markup that I previously has set up in the form but later removed.

I did a “Find in Files” in my local code base to try to locate any code that might be the culprit, but I’m can’t find any evidence of that and I’m baffled by it.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

– Yvan

p.s. The little dog in my profile pic is Woody … G*d bless is his little Italian Greyhound soul. I lost him to cancer about a year and a half ago. I loved him very much :disappointed_relieved:

Wait a minute … this just in. As it turns out, I am getting the form submissions. For some reason I have 2 different sites set up in Netlify (I didn’t even realize this until now) and I was looking at the wrong one all this time. Doh!

Regardless, thanks for all your help guys! The case is closed.

BTW … meet my new boy Elliot. He turns 2 next month :grinning:

3 Likes

D’oh! Well, sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some.

Glad your site is back to normal and Netlify is still awesome :sunglasses:

Good luck!

Jon

Elliot is such a handsome dog! Lovely face! He looks a lot like a dog that used to be in my life - who was also brindle striped with a white chest.