Generic success message not not appearing - missing form submission fields

I’m running into two issues that I’ve come across using the NetlifyCMS hugo template.

1. For some reason when I submit test forms, I’m not receiving the “generically styled success message” as noted in the Netlify Forms Guide.

I’m not linking to a different page as mentioned in the Netlify Forms Guide. Here’s the end of the Contact Form I’m running.

<button type="submit" class="btn w-100 w-auto-ns raise">Submit</button>
</div>
  1. For my “newsletter” form, I’m successfully receiving blank submissions, i.e. I get the proper time stamping and IP address tracking in the Netlify Forms inbox, but no actual text, in this case email addresses to go with it. Just blank.

Here’s the code to this form, I’m sure it’s some rookie mistake as to what I’m missing:

<form name="newsletter" method="POST" data-netlify="true" class="flex-ns mb3">

<fieldset class="flex-auto mb2 mb0-ns mr2-ns" name="newsletter" action="newsletter-subscribe">
    <input type="text" id="email" placeholder="Your email" class="w-100">
    <label for="email">Your email</label>
  </fieldset>

<button class="btn mb3 w-100 w-auto-ns mb0-ns raise" type="submit">Submit</button>

</form>

As you can see, nowhere am I redirecting to a different site, so I’m not sure why I’m not receiving the generic netlify success message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there @mralexbeard,

You have action="POST" in your live form. the action should be thank-you and we’ll give you our generic thank you page. right now since you set it to POST you’ll get redirected to /POST. I recommend reading through our form debugging post for more info!

2 Likes

That was a huge help! I was able to fix both forms so they are routing properly to the generic success page.

With that said, I’m still running into the issue where my newsletter form data is coming back blank in the Netlify Forms repository. I’m receiving the submission, just not the contents (in this case the text of the email addresses)

<form name="newsletter" action="thank-you" data-netlify="true" class="flex-ns mb3">

<fieldset class="flex-auto mb2 mb0-ns mr2-ns" name="newsletter" action="newsletter-subscribe">
    <input type="text" id="email" placeholder="Your email" class="w-100">
    <label for="email">Your email</label>
  </fieldset>

<button class="btn mb3 w-100 w-auto-ns mb0-ns raise" type="submit">Submit</button>

</form>

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing the newsletter/email field in the form to return successfully but the contents be blank? I cant seem to fix it through all the troubleshooting ive done.

It looks like the form is only submitting a form-name, it’s not submitting the e-mail address:

You should check your form handler function or the production html. Note that you can see what your form is submitting by checking the network tab for the submission request.

That was it! I was missing name=“email” in the newsletter code. Thank you so much for your continued help @futuregerald!

1 Like

Looking at solutions presented this should work, but I’m not getting a success message on form submit. Anyone have a few moments to check my code, please?:

<form name="standard-contact" method="POST" data-netlify="true" action="thank-you">

<div class="w-100"></div>
									<div class="col-12 form-group">
										<label>Name:</label>
										<input type="text" name="realestate-enquiry-name" id="realestate-enquiry-name" class="form-control required" value="" placeholder="">
									</div>
										<label>Email:</label>
										<input type="email" name="realestate-enquiry-email" id="realestate-enquiry-email" class="form-control required" value="" placeholder="">
									</div>
										<label>Phone:</label><br>
										<div class="input-group">
											<select class="custom-select required" name="realestate-enquiry-idd" id="realestate-enquiry-idd" style="max-width: 80px;">
												<option value="+1">+1</option>
											</select>
											<input type="text" name="realestate-enquiry-phone" id="realestate-enquiry-phone" class="form-control required" value="" placeholder="505">
										</div>
									</div>

<label>Estimated Value:</label>
										<input class="input-range-slider price-range-slider required" name="realestate-enquiry-budget" id="realestate-enquiry-budget" />
									</div>

<label>Property Type:</label>
										<select class="form-control required" name="realestate-enquiry-property-type" id="realestate-enquiry-property-type">
											<option value="land">Land</option>
											<option value="land with utilities">Land with utilities</option>
											<option value="other land">Other land</option>
										</select>
									</div>

<div class="col-12">
										<button type="submit" name="realestate-enquiry-submit" class="btn btn-secondary">Send Request</button>
									</div>

</form>

@youngchris can you please share a link to the live form you’re having trouble with? Thanks!

certainly, @futuregerald here’s the public link: https://www.standard-land.com

Thanks @youngchris, are you doing the submission using javascript or is it a pure html submission? Also can you remove the action from the form and let me know if it still doesn’t redirect for you?