First-time user - deploys failing consistently

Hi,

I’m a first-time Netlify user attempting to deploy from a Git repo but this is failing on each attempt.

Initally I have the DNS of a domain resolving to Netlify Name Servers, but both the domain name proper and the trusting-neumann domain lead to generic Page Not Found error. Maybe that’s a pointer to the deploy errors but I can’t find the answer.

I have netlify CLI installed on my mac (running Mojave) and the error messages point to a missing file/dir.

Here’s a deploy log link: https://app.netlify.com/sites/trusting-neumann-8e4e23/deploys/5d8e227693d52893e0d9e3b4

Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance.

Your project is using Nuxt, so you should be setting up your netlify.toml or build/deploy as follows to build the static site.

[build]
  command = "npm run generate"
  publish = "dist"

Thanks for the reply. I don’t have a netlify.toml file in the project - did a global search and also looked at hidden files.

Should I create that file myself and populate it with what you advised, or does its absence point to something else that needs doing (e.g. something via the cli)?

No, just put those values in your site settings at app.netlify.com

Ok thanks - I can’t see or gain access to netlify.toml anywhere in the Settings panel, have checked all options (I believe). Where is that?
My account is a Starter plan, if that makes any difference.

So as an alt I created a netlify.toml file locally, added what you advised, committed and and did a new deploy (cache-cleared) and now that fails based on this (understandable) feedback:

… …
> 8:59:31 AM: Found netlify.toml. Overriding site configuration
> 8:59:31 AM: Different publish path detected, going to use the one specified in the toml file: ‘dist’ versus ‘master/dist’ in the site
8:59:31 AM: Starting build script
8:59:31 AM: failed during stage ‘building site’: fork/exec /usr/local/bin/build: no such file or directory
8:59:31 AM: Build command unable to start
8:59:31 AM: Error running command: fork/exec /usr/local/bin/build: no such file or directory
8:59:31 AM: Failing build: Failed to build site

During setup I opted for Master as my deploy branch, which is referenced in this error message, but it seems my .toml file messed with that.

So I edited the .toml file to publish = "master/dist" and re-deployed (cache cleared). This failed with the following error:

… …
9:22:11 AM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/master
9:22:11 AM: Found netlify.toml. Overriding site configuration
9:22:11 AM: Starting build script
9:22:11 AM: Build command unable to start
9:22:11 AM: failed during stage ‘building site’: fork/exec /usr/local/bin/build: no such file or directory
9:22:11 AM: Error running command: fork/exec /usr/local/bin/build: no such file or directory
9:22:11 AM: Failing build: Failed to build site

So I removed the .toml file from the repo and am back to sq-1, failed deploys. If I can find the .toml file in the site Settings I guess that’ll fix it.

@powellian I forked your repository and added the netlify.toml and the site created without an issue. Here is a link (will delete by end of 09/28/2019)

I recommend you add the netlify.toml to the root of your repository, add the dist folder as an ignore and remove it from the repo., then create a new site from the repository. Here is the repository I used: https://github.com/talves/redhed-original

Right ok many thanks for doing that! Weird as it appears to be the same as what I did - added .toml to root - but so it goes. I can’t do this til Sunday morn uk time but will write back here asa when I have.

Got it running and deployed now, many thanks for your input.

I did what you advised, created a new site from the repo and deployed it. But also it seems I hadn’t locally linked the site via the CLI - not entirely sure if that was the prob but whatever, I also did that locally, deployed and it works and reflecting any local updates.

Maybe I was getting ahead of myself in the docs and not adding that local link, not sure tbh, but it’s working now.
Thanks!

2 Likes