Feature requests - what do you already love, what could be better?

This is an open thread for a discussion re: feature requests! What could be EVEN BETTER about Netlify products that you use? Have an idea for a killer integration? Share it here! We’re excited to hear all your rad creative ideas and consider things we maybe hadn’t thought were important.

ground rules to keep our engineers sane:

• This isn’t a Support thread - if you have current issues, please post appropriately elsewhere
  • Keep it positive - we all get frustrated sometimes, but this is not a vent thread
  • Be Specific - Tell us exactly how changes you are suggesting would improve the product, the workflow, the UI, or whatever you feel could be better!

We’re expecting that many of you will share awesome ideas - but we’re expecting that we won’t be able to implement some of them. That doesn’t mean they are bad ideas, but they might not fit with our roadmap. Doesn’t mean you aren’t smart. :smiley:

Off you go!

2 Likes

I’d like to know how much bandwidth and file space each of my sites is consuming. Preferably all in one place (as opposed to just listed with site itself).

6 Likes

Please add support for Brotli soon! I’ve had great success running it on DigitalOcean and it makes a real difference.

1 Like

It would be great to add more transformation options to large media. Things like this: https://github.com/axe312ger/sqip would be really useful!

A post was split to a new topic: Configuring sites to build under different conditions

I think it would help a lot of people if there could be some kind of cancel deploy button. I see a lot of questions on the community channel on Gitter about hanging builds and how long it takes before a build times out. Having to wait 30 minutes until a build fails can be a bit annoying at times.

10 Likes

It would be great to be able to do “branch deploys” and “deploy previews” from the CLI or API. For example I want to use Gitlab CI to build and test my site for flexibility however due to the lack of fixed deploy URL I can’t use Netlify as a review app. If I could manually specify the “branch name” on the CLI/API then I could simply deploy from there.

Something like netlify deploy --branch=$CI_COMMIT_REF_NAME. Then the URL is predictable so you can include it in the url parameter of the review app configuration. Or even better I would use $CI_COMMIT_SHA so that I can easily see the website for any git version.

1 Like

@kevincox I have setup a build hook to build a preview off a specific branch that uses headless data. You can read about build hooks here. It will get you most of the way to what you want in the short term.

2 Likes

The problem is that I can’t build my set in the Netlify environment. So I want to build in Gitlab CI then upload the result.

1 Like

Hey there, loving Netlify and I’d like to add this feature request based on my post Triggering Netlify from a specific GitHub branch. For details, please see that thread.

The ask: I’d love to be able to trigger builds based on changes in other GitHub repos than the one that contains my site, and filter out the branch so it only builds when a specific branch changes.

1 Like

You can have a fixed deploy URL for any (set of) deploy(s). You’d create several sites, one per branch, and set a name for each, then you could access latest netlify deploy --prod for each “environment” by steady name!

Indeed the CLI has no plans to add context like that since that concept of branches and contexts is intrinsic to our build system and git, and not just uploading a site. I understand that in your case it does make sense, but this is not the usual use of the CLI so we aim for one-size-fits-most there :slight_smile:

The problem is that multiple sites don’t work for dynamic branch names. In fact, right now in my “custom” solution I deploy every commit to its own URL so that I can compare any two versions at $[commit.mydomain.com](http://commit.mydomain.com). I don’t think making a new Netlify site for each commit will work.

It doesn’t have to be tied to branches. You can call the flag --name. But the fact remains that having predictable and stable URLs is very useful for development. I can send a coworker a staging link which I can then update (but using the same “name”) and which doesn’t conflict with anyone elses deploys.

Without this you are forced to use Netlify’s very basic CI or lose most of the feature set. If this feature was added then you can focus on the deploy and CDN and let CI tools focus on the CI features. How it stands now the functionality is crippled.

I would love to be able to upload .SHTML files, or PHP files with simple includes, and have them rendered as HTML. When editing files, I like having the repetitive code (base meta tags, header, nav, footer, etc.) “out of the way” so I don’t have to deal with them. SHTML and PHP make this trivial. It can be done to some extent with jQuery .load(), but page elements tend to jump around on page load. Note that Netlify Snippets don’t really work for this purpose (as handy as snippets are) because any code that exists in a snippet cannot be previewed locally. In other words, I want to be able to build a static site with includes, and have Netlify assemble everything for the visitor. That would be lovely.

As mentioned in a separate thread: It would be great to be able to generate a netlify.toml file based on the current configuration of a site. Bonus points for including all available parameters, but commenting out those that are still set to their default values.

This would be very useful for those of us who start by configuring things by hand in the UI (because it’s easier) but want to eventually move to a fully file-based configuration. It would also be a great learning tool by providing an overview of what can be configured.

2 Likes

It would be great to be able to specify on which environments the snippet injection should take place.
I for example don’t want/need analytics on my test deploys.

1 Like

I’m using Cloudflare as DNS right now, and I have managed to set up TLSA, and extend DS and DNSKEY nicely for both my domain and my www subdomain. It would be nice if Netlify DNS had these options, and maybe PGP too. To make our websites safer.
Also, a more intuitive and editable snippet injection feature, like editing already existing snippets, rearranging them, so it’s not just one big snippet for the head and the body if needed. Maybe not just adding it before the end of the section, but also right affter the beginning.

2 Likes

On the topic of snippet injection: I’d really love to be able to edit my snippets too, instead of having to delete existing ones and adding new ones!

2 Likes

Also, snippets should keep “formatting”, like how you use tabs/spaces to maintain a pretty code. The first line always ignores the tabs/spaces, and there is no break after the last line, closing of head and body just goes right after, which can be very unpleasant when you browse the source code in the browser, especially if it’s a long link to a CSS or JS.
It’s not a big deal, but it triggers my faux ocd. :smiley:

Some native way to export my Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate & private key would be wonderful, especially as its a wildcard cert. Integrating custom domains with other services often requires this information. In my case, I ran into it attempting to apply a custom domain to my Okta instance.

Without a way to export this information, it means we have to either handle these certificates outside of Netlify, and now we have sprawl in our certificate management, or we have to handle all of our certs outside of Netlify to avoid that sprawl, and now we aren’t getting that benefit out of Netlify.

Of course, using the Let’s Encrypt certs for other services would require us to set up some sort of auto-renewal for the certs ourselves, but if we have to manage our certs outside of Netlify we have to do this anyway. (And, maybe, down the road, Netlify could provide either a. some methodology of allowing integration with the certs they provide even through rotation or b. ssh access to our Netlify instance so we can set up such an integration ourselves).

Thanks!

1 Like

It would be nice if we could get some basic statistics on our Redirects. I’ve got some redirects that I’m not sure if they are needed anymore, if people are still hitting the old URL or not, and having some usage statistics around how frequently a given redirect rule is hit would be nice.