Failed to upload functions file

Getting this error during deployment. Using node v10.16.3. Have tried local deployment as well.

10:01:08 AM: 1 new functions to upload

10:03:12 AM: Failed to upload file: &{Name:get-allergy-info Sum:57182972fa83281f7aa8fbef6a6a684ba4b3cf56424034c621222a9e0454e1d8 Runtime:js Size:<nil> Path: Buffer:0xc0003c0000}

10:03:12 AM: failed during stage 'deploying site': Failed to execute deploy: [PUT /deploys/{deploy_id}/functions/{name}][500] uploadDeployFunction default &{Code:0 Message:}

10:03:12 AM: Failing build: Failed to deploy site

It might be because I’m using puppeteer which installs chromium alongside it. That might be too big for the function. Thoughts on that being the issue?

Hi @itwasmattgregg,

It’s certainly possible to use Netlify functions with Headless Chrome, and there’s an example of this at https://github.com/netlify-labs/netlify-functions-headless-chrome . I recommend you check out that repo. If you continue to have trouble, please provide us with a link to the deploy that’s failing. Thanks.

I copied that repo to a function and had a couple issues. I couldn’t get it to run locally with netlify dev. And I also got a timeout error after 10.1 seconds when I tried to access the deployed version of the function. I took it down but if you want I could put it back again and send you the URL.

Our functions run for only 10 seconds by default, so no surprise you’d get a timeout error at that point. The URL for the failing deploy may still provide some insight into your earlier failure - don’t need to put it back up, just link to the logs for that specific previous failed deploy so we can check our additional internal logs for obvious problems (there are some things like multiple.dots.in.the.function.filename.js and too-large environment variable settings that can cause failure in function deployment that we can see more easily from the inside).

@itwasmattgregg were you able to get this to work? I’m also using puppeteer and am running into this issue. The strange thing is that my first puppeteer function uploaded fine, my new function which introduces lighthouse with puppeteer fails.