Extremely slow image loading

Hello,

I’ve an issue regarding the loading time of images on a Gatsby website deployed on Netlify. It takes more or less 13 secondes to load less than 5 Mo. The concerned website is juliendecoster.

Here is an example of a slow page: https://juliendecoster.com/capsules/iceland/

In my tests, the first image took more than 9 seconds to load the 685 kb.

Here is a screenshot of the network console of Chrome:

Would you have some tips to improve the performance? I’ve processed all the images so they are 1600px width max. They are also lazy loaded.

Thanks a lot,

Julien

This page loads for me in under 2.5 seconds.

Have you considered setting www.juliendecoster.com as your primary domain, instead of the apex domain juliendecoster.com? You’ll get better performance from Netlify’s CDN if you do.

1 Like

Yep loaded quick for me as well

Also my goodness what brilliant photography work :open_mouth: big fan. Nice site :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, indeed. I set the primary domain to www. instead of the apex domain and now it’s really fast, under 2 seconds to load! Thanks a lot! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your comment about my photography, you made my day! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Have you considered setting www.juliendecoster.com as your primary domain, instead of the apex domain juliendecoster.com? You’ll get better performance from Netlify’s CDN if you do.

Good stuff. If you’re going to use an apex domain as a primary domain it better be hosted ON Netlify so it can leverage the (automatic) ALIAS records :laughing: